PDA

View Full Version : Changed the plugs and now it sounds like a VW

Wander
10-17-2010, 06:15 PM
I checked my plugs today and found #4 was cracked. It was a bugger to get out but it finally came. I figured I might as well change all four since I had to get one so off to Autozone I go. She had Autocraft 405's so I got another set of the same as she's been running well.

I gaped then around .030 ,applyed some antisieze and put them back in. I am pretty sure I got the leads correct but when I started her she sounded like and aircooled VW and woud not hold an idle.What did I do wrong?? and more importantly-how do I fix it??

LR Max
10-17-2010, 07:35 PM
I bet you didn't put the spark plug wires all the way back on.

You are missing on a cylinder, no electric. Pull your spark plugs and see which one still looks new. Then that is your cylinder.

Wander
10-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I checked them again, they are pretty snug. I think I may have the order wrong so I'm going to pull the #1 tomorrow and match it to the dizzy. That will also give me a chance to set the points. Serves me right for not labeling the wires!

thixon
10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Wander,

It sounds like you either got the order wrong, or you damaged a wire yanking the ends off the plugs. Don't sweat it, it can happen to anyone.

Wander
10-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Thank Travis,

Yeah after I thought about it last night I realized I didn't take as good a look at the dizzy as I thought I did. I'm pretty sure I swapped 2 and 3 forgetting that it's 1-3-4-2. I'll be sure to check the wires as well.

I think the trouble I had getting the cracked plug out of #4 (why is it always the hardest to reach?!) made not work methodically as I should. I've got a meet this weekend so I was going through the "oh crap" scenarios.

I'm going to do some work this winter so I guess I'll find out if I screwed anything up then.

Wander
10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Update..I pulled #1 plug and popped the cap off the dizzy. I used the hand crank to turn her over to find where #1 was on my dizzy and was able to fix the problem. She's running very smoothly and strong now. Thanks for all the help. There was one other key element-I nicked my knuckle on the dizzy clip and leaked a few drops of B+, I think that was the missing link:D

73series88
10-19-2010, 08:25 AM
allways works for me
a little blood for the alter.
aaron