PDA

View Full Version : Original UK Price of 1983 Series III Stage 1 109?

vbdave26
10-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Trying to get insurance on my new to me LR and I was asked to find the original price for the vehicle.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks
d

gambrinus
10-20-2010, 11:11 AM
"original price" ?!?!? Has NOTHING to do with what the replacement cost of the vehicle is today. You need a new insurance agent / company.

If you were in CO , I'd love to help you....

If its an occasional use vehicle try: www.hagerty.com

If you use it a bit, and do go off road from time to time... SAFECO has a good "Classic Car" policy.

http://www.safeco.com/ you can search for a local agent that can help you.

Good Luck

RW

artpeck
10-20-2010, 11:27 AM
I would agree. On both my '95 defender and my new to me S3 I worked with my agent to establish a reasonable assessemt of replacement value which is the only relevant metric to insure against. Unless your truck is a total disaster the original price will be far lower than it's current value and therefore a meaningless number.

Wander
10-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I've got coverage with Grundy and have been pleased-it's a specialty policy for classics but I don't have a mileage restriction and the coverage is cheap. I got quoted by Hagerty but then they refused because I might take if off road-imagine that a Land Rover going off road!? Grundy had no problem with it but I did explain that off roading in a 64 IIa means fire lanes, dirt roads and beach driving-not rock crawling.

bkreutz
10-20-2010, 01:59 PM
So that means your insurance agent thinks a 64 SC Cobra is worth $6000.00 because that was the original price? I agree with the others, you need to find an agent that looks past his computer screen.

vbdave26
10-20-2010, 02:02 PM
thanks for all of your responses. I will look into a few of your suggestions.

Dave

Pictures to follow when I get this thing home.

Firemanshort
10-21-2010, 03:47 PM
one Stage One owner to another ... congrats on your purchase and where are you?

I Leak Oil
10-21-2010, 03:57 PM
They need to know the original value so they can determine it's current value based on depreciation. That's how a normal policy works. If you want a policy based on what it's currently "worth" then you need a different type of agreed replacement cost policy.

Cutter
10-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I asked my agent who does our cars, house, business about agreed upon replacement value and they wanted me to get it appraised. I sort of thought that was their job to do so I've been thinking that I might look elsewhere for the rover. Will check out the above mentioned.