PDA

View Full Version : Smith's Heater leaking?

ducttape
10-20-2010, 07:20 PM
I came to my 67 IIa yesterday to find a greenish puddle on the drivers floor mat. I wasn't sure what it was and nothing looked like it leaked. No wet on the dash or any place I seemed to feel. I looked in the radiator and it seemed topped off. Mystery fluid :)

Tonight on Leaf Spring forum someone mentioned round heaters rusting and leaking. I THINK I put the heat on this morn and I think it put out.

Did my heater spring a leak?

LR Max
10-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Probably.

Pull it off and take it to a radiator shop (assuming you are talking about the smiths heater that is mounted on the bulkhead in the engine compartment and not the shin burner).

That is what I did, didn't even remove the core from the housing. They dipped it, core, housing the whole shooting match. Also let them know that this is the first time it has ever been serviced. Like with mine, they'll probably have to leave it in the hot tank overnight to dislodge all the crap. Then they patched a few little leaks. Cheap and easy (shop here in ATL charged me $25).

When I got it back, I went to town with the RTV silicone. Sealed that puppy up. So far I've noticed a significant difference in heat. Its actually hot-ish instead of kinda warm.

ducttape
10-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Actually, I assumed it was the shin burner. I will look closer.