PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure at idle and speed

artpeck
10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Searched the forum. Lots of competing information. My OEM gauge indicates 35 lbs+ at idle and 55lbs+ at ~2000 engine warm. I am a little surprised the pressure is that high at idle as some in the forum have noted essentially no pressure at idle but seems normal and strong at speed per the green bible. 2.25 engine has 31k miles but sat for 16 years and obviously there could be gunk in the galleries etc. It is a little confusing as the running pressure is right on where the green book would indicate it should be. Should I be concerned about the pressure at idle? I have not pulled the pan or worked on the pump at all. I also understand that the guage isnt necessarily the most accurate instrument on the planet. I just don't want to be blissfully thinking everything is cool to then find out this is a sign of something messed up and longer term damage. I also am anxious to actually get her out on the road and today may be the day. Thoughts and wisdom appreciated.

gudjeon
10-23-2010, 11:48 AM
You are correct o their accuracy bit. It can only be verified by a mechanics gauge known to be verified. I use my oil gauge as a relative pressure reading. Getting any oil pressure at idle is good on these old rigs. Mine reads about 55psi running at speed and has been doing this for 5 years now.

You will know if oil viscosity is breaking down under high temps as idle pressure will drop off. Thats what I use the gauge for, to see whether the pump is working or not, not to read for absolutes.:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
10-23-2010, 01:14 PM
I agree fully. That was an excellent answer.
Jim

artpeck
10-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Appreciate as always the help.