PDA

View Full Version : Flat towing gutless axle tubes

msggunny
10-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Ok, so if i strip out the diff and shafts from my axles and flat tow it 100 miles or so is there a risk of the bearings going dry and seizing up?

Wanting to flat tow a rolling chassis to get some work done and I have a buyer for the diffs as i dont need them.

Thanks.
Richard

LaneRover
10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I do not know the answer to your question but would pose another.

Can you tow the frame with the diffs in place and then bring the diffs back to the purchaser?

msggunny
10-25-2010, 09:49 AM
I do not know the answer to your question but would pose another.

Can you tow the frame with the diffs in place and then bring the diffs back to the purchaser?

Yup, sure can. But that would just make it a bit more of a PITA. Nothing huge, just more inconvenient.

LaneRover
10-25-2010, 09:56 AM
I believe that the axle shafts are what 'carry' the oil back and forth. Since those will be out there will be less movement of oil. I would make sure that you fill up the hubs before heading out.

Could something be stuffed down the axle tube to 'seal' it enough to keep most of the gear oil in the hub?

Overall I think you will be fine - but I don't know that 100%

scott
10-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Pack the bearings in grease or put the difs back in or make a planking plate to go where the difs were. Or pack the tubes with some sort of spongie rubber ball near the dif openning and pour the 90 w thru the breather but that will only work for one hub per axle

lrdukdog
10-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Just pack the hubs with grease. It's not that hard and just count it as practice for changing out axles:).
Jim Wolf

Terrys
10-25-2010, 08:06 PM
The wheel bearings aren't intended to be lubed by the oil in the differential, but packed with wheel bearing grease. If you've pulled the diffs, you've probably already drained the oil, so there's no issue with towing it with the drive flanges off the hubs except keeping dirt out. For that reason, I'd pull the axles off the drive flanges and put the flanges back on (with the caps in place).