PDA

View Full Version : Head light switch problem

derekchace
10-26-2010, 05:28 AM
my headlight switch seems to be burning out. I have replaced it twice in three weeks. It seems to work fine for a couple days then when driving all the lights go out. Also the switch then feels real mushy and no longer works. I still have I high beams of I hold them on but nothing else. It's a series III 109 em mod 12v and I am useing pro line switches.

greenmeanie
10-26-2010, 06:06 AM
If its Ex MOD it would have come with the 6 way light switch so I presume yours has been modified to use a standard light set up. I also presume that you have updated to modern halogen lights.

It appears to be a high current draw which is burning out the switch. As your lighting circuit has been modified then I would start looking at the workmanship there. Use a multimeter to bypass the switch and check the current draw on hi beam and low beam.

If you haven't done so already I would make the upgrade to relays to power the lights, as detailed in many posts on this site, which will remove all but a tiny current draw through the switch thus extending its life.

Of course, you can't rule out a bad batch of switches.