PDA

View Full Version : Rear end trouble, help

Big Yellow
10-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Ok, background, it's a 65 IIa 88in, was working great till I made a sharp left hand u turn, that's when the knocking started. Hard to tell where from though, didn't change with engine speed, but does with truck speed, two or four wheel, no change in sound, sounds like something that the drive shaft was hitting (but it's not). So tonight I had a chance to put it up on jack stands and take all the wheels off, first checked for anything out of place, topped off the fluids, then ran it, no sound, put the wheels back on, noise, but the noise is not from the wheels. When I took the wheels back off, and then put it in first, the left rear drum moves as one would expect, but the right rear wasn't moving as fast, and if I stopped the drum with my hand the knocking started. :(
So pulled out first the right, then the left axle, both looked fine, splines don't look damaged at all, so I think the problem is in the rear diff. But what? Any hints on taking it apart, or any other hints would be great.

Thanks,
Bill

73series88
10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
i would take off the rear drive shaft to isolate the problem but if your halph shafts are fine then i would say it is in the diff
maybe a spyder gear?
my best guess
aaron

bbrigman
10-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Recently pulled my axles which were fine and thought the diff was out, but had just spun a drive flange.

KevinNY
10-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you lost a tooth(or a few), pull it and inspect, it's a pretty easy job.

Terrys
10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
snapped the spider spindle.

Alk-3
10-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Sounds exactly what happened to me.. Spider gear damage.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8595

Big Yellow
10-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Well I got the gear set out of the truck, and yup you all were correct, damaged gears, the Crownwheel gear is missing two teeth and that damaged the bevel pinion, so will be calling our hosts tomorrow and picking up a few parts. I wouldn't have dug in that far without the hints from here that it was likely there, and that it's not that hard to do ( and so far that's true, but it's the putting it back together that is the real test).
Thanks!
Bill :)

yorker
10-28-2010, 06:39 PM
you should be able to pick up a used diff cheap, ask around.

SafeAirOne
10-28-2010, 06:39 PM
You probably know this, but if you're replacing the ring and pinion gears, there's gonna a bit more to it than just slapping some new ones in. There is some pretty precise setup that needs to be done.

I Leak Oil
10-29-2010, 04:54 AM
Could be any of the above. Only way to know for sure is to take it out and have a look. If you ask me, it's not worth replacing R&P gears. Cheaper just to find a used diff. Matter of fact, it's probably cheaper to find a used diff than it is to replace just about anything in there...

Terrys
10-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Could be any of the above. Only way to know for sure is to take it out and have a look. If you ask me, it's not worth replacing R&P gears. Cheaper just to find a used diff. Matter of fact, it's probably cheaper to find a used diff than it is to replace just about anything in there...
RN had some used diffs, but if they don't, others will. A new ring and pinion is very expensive (Like 5 times what you can pick up a used diff for)

SafeAirOne
10-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Somebody clued me in to the used 3rd member thing a few years back. If you look around , you should be able to find used 3rd members for $50-$75. I paid $50 for mine when my pinion bearing malfunctioned 3 or 4 years ago.