PDA

View Full Version : something got wet...

albersj51
10-27-2010, 02:38 PM
So i take the rover to the gym last night and as i'm leaving it starts pouring rain. I just wait it out in the truck. It stops and i get on my way. Going down the road at 35 (45 zone) due to the water on the road i hit a big puddle which splashes the entire truck. I couldn't slow down since the guy behind me was tailgating. After the puddle i hit the gas but no power. She bucks a few times gives me some power, bucks again and stalls out. I coast into a neighborhood wherei pushed her to a safe place to dry over night. Drove to see if she starts but no. Same as last night, she starts but wont turn over. I put on another cap,double checked the wires but nothing. This is a first for me, any ideas? It rained again today so it probably didn't dry much. I have a 25d dizzy with pertronix ignitor, pertronix coil and. New wires and rotor. When my buddy finishes with work ill test for spark, but pretty sure its not getting to the plugs. If so i swap out rotors and coils. Any other ideas? Thanks!

J

mongoswede
10-27-2010, 02:53 PM
So i take the rover to the gym last night and as i'm leaving it starts pouring rain. I just wait it out in the truck. It stops and i get on my way. Going down the road at 35 (45 zone) due to the water on the road i hit a big puddle which splashes the entire truck. I couldn't slow down since the guy behind me was tailgating. After the puddle i hit the gas but no power. She bucks a few times gives me some power, bucks again and stalls out. I coast into a neighborhood wherei pushed her to a safe place to dry over night. Drove to see if she starts but no. Same as last night, she starts but wont turn over. I put on another cap,double checked the wires but nothing. This is a first for me, any ideas? It rained again today so it probably didn't dry much. I have a 25d dizzy with pertronix ignitor, pertronix coil and. New wires and rotor. When my buddy finishes with work ill test for spark, but pretty sure its not getting to the plugs. If so i swap out rotors and coils. Any other ideas? Thanks!

J

what do you mean by that bit in red?

Check all the connections to the coil, the battery, and to the distributor. makes sure that no water got up into the the plug wire connections. for the hell of it try spraying all the plug wires with WD40 and see if it starts. Check your battery and alternator connections. Could water have gotten into your carb somehow?

Nium
10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Seems that the wording's backwards in that "she'll turn over, but wont start", IMHO.

albersj51
10-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Sorry, i may have reversed the words: i hit the start button and it turns over but the engine doesn't fire up.

As for the carb, i guess its possible, but i doubt it. I refitted the oil bath on Sunday and clamped the elbow down tight.

Bostonian1976
10-27-2010, 03:34 PM
either an electrical connection got knocked loose by the power of the 'splash,' or something got wet that's still wet. Bring some WD-40 with you next time you try it out

albersj51
10-27-2010, 03:48 PM
What is WD-40 safe to use on? Don't want to go rambo with it and foul something :)

mongoswede
10-27-2010, 04:04 PM
What is WD-40 safe to use on? Don't want to go rambo with it and foul something :)

safe on pretty much everything. Avoid contact with your eyes and try not to drink too much of it. Don't spray it on any brake linings.

albersj51
10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Darn it! First drinking too much beer makes me an alcoholic, and now i can't drink WD-40?! What's the world coming to! :)

Thanks, Mongoswede!

artpeck
10-27-2010, 04:34 PM
My two cents. First pull a wire of a plug and check for spark. If no spark Check all the electrical connections to the coil. Coil to dizzy etc. Still no spark use a cheap volt meter to see where you lose the connection. Power to coil, negative earth to dizzy. There are not that many things that could wrong here that would yield those symptoms. I suppose you could have sucked water Into the carb but that would have had to have been a mongo splash and likely would have killed the engine pretty immediately. Possible you might have fried the coil if water surged up there but again that would have been a definitive shut off versus what you saw.

Terrys
10-27-2010, 04:47 PM
WD-40, or CRC should be carried in any series truck.

albersj51
10-27-2010, 05:00 PM
The pertronix coil (3 months old) pooped the bed. Pulled the HT lead and got a weak white spark. Put in the old Lucas and she fired right up...first time Lucas ever helped! Thanks for the help guys!

artpeck
10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Must have shorted out and it fried. For what it is worth I went thought every electrical connection on my defender and cleaned the connections then used dielectric grease as I had constant gremlins of one sort or another. Since doing this it has run flawlessly. I will do the same on the series after I get a bunch of other stuff done.

SafeAirOne
10-27-2010, 07:05 PM
And, just to add my 2 cents---When I had a vehicle that had a distributor, I always carried a spray can of silicon lubricant. It REALLY displaces water and is pretty safe to go crazy with. I also used to smear a good thick bead of dielectric grease on the bottom of the distributor cap, then install it. Same with putting some in each ignition wire boot before installation. You'd be amazed at how well that keeps the water out of the ignition components.

albersj51
10-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys! Im going to pick up some dielectric grease this weekend and go to town! Called Amazon (where i bought the coil) and they're sending me a new one.

disco2hse
10-28-2010, 04:21 PM
When I had a vehicle that had a distributor, I always carried a spray can of silicon lubricant. It REALLY displaces water and is pretty safe to go crazy with.

Umm. Yeah it really is quite handy to have around when the need arises :p

For external use only :D

SafeAirOne
10-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Umm. Yeah it really is quite handy to have around when the need arises :p

...Making me wonder if you might have a different use for silicon lubricant in New Zeland than we do here in the States... something "root"-related... :p

albersj51
10-28-2010, 04:38 PM
HA! Never thought id start a convo like this on a Land Rover forum!! I Definitely picked the right car!

[Q]UOTE=SafeAirOne;60514]...Making me wonder if you might have a different use for silicon lubricant in New Zeland than we do here in the States... something "root"-related... :p[/QUOTE]

disco2hse
10-28-2010, 04:55 PM
...Making me wonder if you might have a different use for silicon lubricant in New Zeland than we do here in the States... something "root"-related... :p

:D Well if you know what kiwis do...

http://www.t-shirtworld.co.nz/kiwiana/kiwianathumb8_large.jpg

bmohan55
10-29-2010, 09:15 AM
And, just to add my 2 cents---When I had a vehicle that had a distributor, I always carried a spray can of silicon lubricant. It REALLY displaces water and is pretty safe to go crazy with. I also used to smear a good thick bead of dielectric grease on the bottom of the distributor cap, then install it. Same with putting some in each ignition wire boot before installation. You'd be amazed at how well that keeps the water out of the ignition components.

Newbie question(s) on the highlighted part....I was under the impresion that the dizzy had to "breathe", wouldn't the grease seal it up too much?
Also in the middle of a rebuild now and plan on going Pretronix when it's back together, is it more water resistant than points?

SafeAirOne
10-30-2010, 06:17 AM
I was under the impresion that the dizzy had to "breathe", wouldn't the grease seal it up too much?

I should clarify: when I say "When I had a vehilce that had a distributor", it was a 1969 Jeep M715 5/4ton military truck with a 12v civilian distributor fitted. It didn't need to breathe whatsoever.

The 2.25 distributor may have different requirements, I don't know. It's been decades since I've owned a series rover with a distributor.

Anyone else know??

Jeff Aronson
10-30-2010, 07:10 AM
The distibutor does not produce the kind of heat that requires a "breather." Regardless of the type of distributor you choose [I favor the Lucas points one] moisture or water inside the distributor will result the very symptoms you encountered. In your case, you said the coil was bad, but possibly, you just had moisture in the distributor housing/spark plugs or coil wires, and that the failure was coincidental.

Dialectric grease is the goods for helping to make all those parts more water-resistant, and WD-40/ Silicon spray/PB Blaster will all help displace moisture/water to enable the voltage to produce the requisite spark.

It's worth considering new wires and distributor cap, too, if moisture/water continue to create running problems like these.

Jeff