PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Well Locker on an 88

ducttape
10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
I am noticing a dire shortage of storage space on my 88. Not that the two lockers on my old 109 were cavernous or anything, but they did provide an out of sight method for holding lots of little pieces normally thrown in a car's trunk

Has anyone jury rigged a box of some sort for storage forward of the wheels on an 88?

Is there a reason I wouldn't want these there? (Inside the wells)

I do recall seeing an after market box someplace. Similar to what one would see on a rescue truck of sorts. I would prefer access inside though, rather than an exposed hatch along the 'clean lines' of my 88.

And I am even less keen on these http://www.barebox.co.uk/
Is it just me, or do these seem silly?
Thanks!

SafeAirOne
10-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Not sure where you mean--Is it something that would span the width of the forward tub floor or do you mean where the tool lockers go; that is, actually built into the wheelwells? Not sure if the last sentence applies 88s, but it does on 109s

If you mean built into the wheelwells, then that shouldn't be too difficult to fab up. I can post up pics of what they look like from the udnerside if you need

meatblanket
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
And I am even less keen on these http://www.barebox.co.uk/
Is it just me, or do these seem silly?
Thanks!

Not silly at all if you drive much with the top off and you don't want all of your belongings stolen from you.

ducttape
10-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Not sure where you mean--Is it something that would span the width of the forward tub floor or do you mean where the tool lockers go; that is, actually built into the wheelwells? Not sure if the last sentence applies 88s, but it does on 109s

If you mean built into the wheelwells, then that shouldn't be too difficult to fab up. I can post up pics of what they look like from the undnerside if you need

Into the wells. I know the 109s have them. I was looking to fab (or better, buy premade!) for an 88. It's not like people buy 88s because they own less stuff!

siiirhd88
10-30-2010, 02:42 PM
I fabbed up a box in front of the right rear wheel on one of the 109s, as a battery box. The box itself was actually a galvanized trash can. I attached aluminum angle to the top of the box as a flange, and then attached the flange to the underside of the tub. I have a cover panel held down with screws, but there is no reason it couldn't be hinged.

Bob

cgalpin
10-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Maybe one of the landiebox products will work on a SWB?

http://www.gapanalysisconsulting.co.uk/shop/

ducttape
10-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Maybe one of the landiebox products will work on a SWB?

http://www.gapanalysisconsulting.co.uk/shop/

http://www.gapanalysisconsulting.co.uk/shop/product/?product=6

Yes, that is the item (as the other one is outside accessed) However, I didn't think of a galvanized trash can. If one is available rectangular that should do the trick

Wander
10-30-2010, 05:10 PM
You could use a galv tub-like people use to ice down beer at a party. If you have a farm supply place nearby go see what they have to work with.

I've got a small box under the pass side floor that has a hinged cover. The PO did the work so I don't know what the box is made of but it looks like sheet metal. He added treated wood pieces between the outriggers and placed the box there. With the floor mats down you can't see the cover and you can't see the bottom of the box below the sills. He used a piano hinge for the cover.

NRutterbush
10-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Anybody that does heating and air conditioning and sheet metal work should have plenty of galvanized sheet steel around, and the ability to bend it to the size and shape that you want. Putting on a flange and sealing the corners is simple with the right tools, and AC shops have them.

Some shops may even have aluminum sheet that can used. I would spend 50 bucks at one of those shops before I tried to cut up a trash can and make something work.

LR Max
10-31-2010, 07:53 PM
This drags up something I've been wanting to do for a long time on my 109. In front of the rear wheel, there is so much dead space that could be used for storage.

siiirhd88
10-31-2010, 09:34 PM
The galvanized trash can I used for the battery box was rectangular and slightly tapered on all four sides. I picked it up at the local chain building supply store, can fit two Optima type batteries, was already louvered with vents, and the hand hold openings were just the right size for the battery cables and rubber grommets.

I plan on installing a potable water tank in the same spot on the other side. The heating duct guys could bend up a galvanized box cheaply, I think. It could be formed to the exact size desired.

Bob

I would spend 50 bucks at one of those shops before I tried to cut up a trash can and make something work.[/QUOTE]

yorker
11-01-2010, 06:52 AM
One of the Canadian OVLR guys who owns a lightweight added a storage area beneath the floor of the rear loadspace, kind of like in stationwagons of yesteryear. As an added plus when it was closed and a piece of carpet was on top of it no one knew it was there. It was pretty slick. Bad thing was it was difficult to access when the rear was filled with other stuff.

ducttape
11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
One of the Canadian OVLR guys who owns a lightweight added a storage area beneath the floor of the rear loadspace, kind of like in stationwagons of yesteryear. As an added plus when it was closed and a piece of carpet was on top of it no one knew it was there. It was pretty slick. Bad thing was it was difficult to access when the rear was filled with other stuff.

One of the sites mentioned here had an under floor compartment. I looked but my muffler goes there. But, I think that might be an option. maybe under the passenger floor. The point is, there really IS a lot of space inside this puppy.

ShootingCar
11-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I have been brainstorming on the idea of locked storage for the back of my 88 for a while. I have a truck vault in the back of my Yukon to lock up my guns and to be a raised deck or my bird dog crates and have been thinking of doing something similar for my 88.

My first plan was to do a sheet of 3/16" thick aluminum checkered plate that would bridge across from top of the rear wheelwells to form the top of the box and be a seamless raised floor for my dog crates. I realize that when I do this the back area is not accessible for my rear seat anymore, so it's either passengers or the cargo box. Then, I would mount sliding tracks under the top plate and have a sliding drawer made that would have lock on it.

Then I found the following site that makes these types of cargo boxes. I have tried to connect with these folks but it's too bad someone doesnt make one these in the US that would fill the area between the wheel wells on an 88.

http://www.mobilestoragesystems.fsnet.co.uk/store-drawer.htm

Any of you guys know of a US source for something like this?

Jeff

TeriAnn
11-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Has anyone jury rigged a box of some sort for storage forward of the wheels on an 88?

Something like this? Except it is over the wheels

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/wingbox.jpeg

This is on a Texas Series truck. This is a custom wing box. The owner built an aluminum box and secured it to the underside of the wing above the tyre. The cut in the wing is slightly larger than the opening in the top of the box so the lid can rest on the upper lip of the box. He used a stainless steel piano hinge and flush mounting aircraft latches. He has a box on each front wing. One stores chains and the other is a tool box.

yorker
11-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Here are is a pic of it, it does go where the muffler went but that isn't hard to change.

I also have more pics of that lightweight here:
http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?44-Guy-Fawkes-(4)-5-6-7-November-2010/page2

:thumb-up:

yorker
11-15-2010, 09:03 AM
I have been brainstorming on the idea of locked storage for the back of my 88 for a while.
My first plan was to do a sheet of 3/16" thick aluminum checkered plate that would bridge across from top of the rear wheelwells to form the top of the box and be a seamless raised floor for my dog crates. I realize that when I do this the back area is not accessible for my rear seat anymore, so it's either passengers or the cargo box. Then, I would mount sliding tracks under the top plate and have a sliding drawer made that would have lock on it.

I used to work for a Land Surveying firm that had used 88"s since the 1960's and they had custom made storage drawers that worked that way and stowed all the rebar, dock spikes, and tools safely in the rear. It really wouldn't be too hard to duplicate it yourself.

Eric W S
11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Something like this? Except it is over the wheels

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/wingbox.jpeg

This is on a Texas Series truck. This is a custom wing box. The owner built an aluminum box and secured it to the underside of the wing above the tyre. The cut in the wing is slightly larger than the opening in the top of the box so the lid can rest on the upper lip of the box. He used a stainless steel piano hinge and flush mounting aircraft latches. He has a box on each front wing. One stores chains and the other is a tool box.

That's creative for sure. But I would not want anything in the wings considering how easy it is to damage the Birma and how hard it is to find body panels these days...

chester rides again
11-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I think your looking for this company - Tuffy Security Products
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/default.aspx

I have been brainstorming on the idea of locked storage for the back of my 88 for a while. I have a truck vault in the back of my Yukon to lock up my guns and to be a raised deck or my bird dog crates and have been thinking of doing something similar for my 88.

Then I found the following site that makes these types of cargo boxes. I have tried to connect with these folks but it's too bad someone doesnt make one these in the US that would fill the area between the wheel wells on an 88.

http://www.mobilestoragesystems.fsnet.co.uk/store-drawer.htm

Any of you guys know of a US source for something like this?

Jeff