PDA

View Full Version : hey guys ive got a problem

73series88
10-30-2010, 09:11 AM
if it isn't one thing its another
im so close to just throwing in the towel.
73 series 88
2.25 2a motor
weber carb
anytime i try to drive i get the rover
starts fine
idles fine
try to give it some revs and it starts popping and sputtering and backfires
acts like a fuel problem
new lines
has new fuel mech pump thought that was the problem so i put an inlne in with no improvement
new filters. even thought i had bad gas so i put a can of fresh petrol in the cab and ran off that. no improvement.
weber is rebuilt last spring and i took it apart it's clean.
no vac leaks

new distributor last spring. points look fine. gapped the anyways
new spark plugs.
wires are fine.
new coil last fall
all connections are fine.
i even ran the coil directly off the battery to isolate the ignition
no improvement.
cleaned the rotor and cap contact points as well
only thing i can think is either cap and rotor or coil. but there only 8 10 months old.
i dont know but im getting very discouraged.
any help would be great
thanks
aaron

Cutter
10-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Is the vacuum advance on the dizzy working? Probably not the culprit, but pull the tube with the engine off and suck on it to see if the advance is moving in there.

My friend and I had a similar situation when I first got my truck and after finding lots of little things to fix that slowly improved the way it was running, the biggest issue was a bad plug (that was newish).

73series88
10-30-2010, 09:58 AM
just checked vac adv
works perfectly

Terrys
10-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Is it backfiring out, or in ? Out is 99% ignition, in is very often cam timing (Chain related). If your chain tensioner isn't working, or is all the way ratcheted up, or the chain has stretched (back to the tensioner)backfiring through the intake is usually the symptom.
I'm going to assume you're refering to backfiring out the exhaust, since you're also saying 'sputtering'.
Contrary to a recent statement by a reputable poster, Condensers DO fail with similar symptoms. They yield very erratic firing because their internal dielectric insulation is failing. It isn't rare, and after 45+ years experience with British ignition systems, I've seen it a fair bit.

Rich Lambert
10-30-2010, 10:25 AM
My Porsche mechanic always says most fuel system problems are ignition problems.

If it were me, I'd swap out the points, rotor, you have a condenser?, coil, cap and check the timing. Ignition parts aren't like they used to be, when they'd last for years and years. They are cheaply made out of cheap materials that don't hold up, especially if you're running any kind high output ignition.

73series88
10-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I JUST SPLICED AN OLD CONDENSER FROM AN OLD MGA DIZZY I HAD
AND IT RUNS PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SafeAirOne
10-30-2010, 10:48 AM

Too bad. I was hoping to pick up an 88 cheap when you threw in the towel for good!:D

73series88
10-30-2010, 10:50 AM
YOU WERE RIGHT
BAD CONDENCER

BobJones
10-30-2010, 11:13 AM
awesome!!!!:thumb-up:

LaneRover
10-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Awesome!!

I was going to suggest the mechanical advance, very glad you got it figured out!

Terrys
10-30-2010, 12:03 PM
See Aaron, I ain't dead yet.

Rich, I'm glad your Porsche mechanic isn't a heart surgeon. My Doc says my foot pain is all in my head. Where do these guys come from?

Rich Lambert
10-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I think it comes from all the guys that screw up a perfectly good tune on a pair of 3 barrel Webers while trying to repair what turns out to be an ignition issue.

NickDawson
10-30-2010, 04:38 PM

I had the EXACT same problem and the exact same solution - and I know from other threads that we are not alone. I recall hearing something about a bad run of condensers from some supplier.... regardless, I'm glad it is running again for you and that the solution wasn't too complex!

Im also glad you didn't throw in the towel - I've been there myself (and have been vocal about it here :D ) and through some amazingly patient helpers have been able to walk me through keep my truck running. Isn't it a rewarding feeling when you get it back on the road?!

NickDawson
10-30-2010, 04:39 PM
I think it comes from all the guys that screw up a perfectly good tune a pair of 3 barrel Webers while trying to repair what turns out to be an ignition issue.

When I got my truck, I was convinced everything was related to the carb. Turns out you guys are right, it is almost never the carb.