PDA

View Full Version : Order of Events?

MbogoRover
11-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I am the new, proud owner of a 1974 Series III 3-Door Land Rover and am excited to begin my restoration of it.

This Rover is in, what appears to be, pretty good mechanical order but the I would like to change the exterior body paint color from it's current baby blue to a forest green and also paint the interior to match the exterior (the previous owner painted the entire interior in a cream color and did a poor job if it.

I will also be adding windows to the curretn solid sidepanels (a.k.a. Roofsides).

My question is this, what is the adviable order of events to begin cleaning up and restoring my Rover to the state I would like it to be in?

Should I first install the windows in the sidepanels and then take my Rover to a local professional auto paint place and have them sand blast everything and paint it my desired color?

I have ordered interior front door panel set and would like to insualte and install a headliner and such but want to do things in a logical order. Can I presume that having all the old paint (exterior and interior) stripped and the exterior and interior repainted is the first place to start before I do much else?

There is very list just on the chassis and only a few very small spots of it on the body anywhere (which I presume could be cleaned up and repaired by whichever boday shop I have do the painting?)

I realize I am new to the Land Rover world but I am excited to be here finally and ask for your collective patience and understanding while I learn from you and all through trial and error.

In advance I thank you for any thoughts, suggestions or tips you might be willing to share.

SafeAirOne
11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
If it's a right-hand drive, I'd do the windows first, for the safety of the motoring public.

OH, and congratulations on your new lifestyle!

rwollschlager
11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Should I first install the windows in the sidepanels and then take my Rover to a local professional auto paint place and have them sand blast everything and paint it my desired color?

I have ordered interior front door panel set and would like to insualte and install a headliner and such but want to do things in a logical order. Can I presume that having all the old paint (exterior and interior) stripped and the exterior and interior repainted is the first place to start before I do much else?

Congrats!

I would not recommend on sending your truck to a body shop to be dismantled then painted. These things come apart remarkably easy and you can save some serious cash if you take it apart yourself and send the separate pieces to be blasted and painted. Also if taken apart, the paint job will come out much more thorough.

What you could do is take apart the body (tub, doors, breakfast, and wings, etc) and while they are being blasted and painted you can work on your roof windows and trim bits. At this point it will be easy to be overcome by ship fitters disease and further take apart the truck and galvanize everything while you already have it in pieces.

Good luck in your endeavors and keep us posted! :thumb-up:

-Rob

MbogoRover
11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
It is in fact a right hand drive, which I am beginning to feel more comfortable with.

For the public's safety, and because it does seem logical, I guess I will get the windows installed first before any painting is done.

For some reason, the idea of dismantling all the body panels and interior pieces for painting seperately seems rather daunting ! Is this simply because I have never taken the pieces off before or can it be quite a can of worms ?

Again, my Rover runs well now, or so it has in the whole three days I have owned it, so perhaps I mispoke when I said it was a "restoration" project - more like a refurbishing perhpas.

MbogoRover
11-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Oh and thank you both very much for the congratulations - I am really excited !

Eric W S
11-02-2010, 08:17 AM
It is in fact a right hand drive, which I am beginning to feel more comfortable with.

For the public's safety, and because it does seem logical, I guess I will get the windows installed first before any painting is done.

For some reason, the idea of dismantling all the body panels and interior pieces for painting seperately seems rather daunting ! Is this simply because I have never taken the pieces off before or can it be quite a can of worms ?

Again, my Rover runs well now, or so it has in the whole three days I have owned it, so perhaps I mispoke when I said it was a "restoration" project - more like a refurbishing perhpas.

If you want a good paint job than dismantle the truck. That's what i am doing right now. It's easy.

You will be quite surprised what a de3cent shop will charge you if you don't. It gets real expensive.

EwS

73series88
11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
how about some pics?
congrats
aaron

luckyjoe
11-02-2010, 10:27 AM
You might see if you can find anyone interested in the solid roofsides, before you add windows. The solid panels are getting harder to find...

73series88
11-02-2010, 11:34 AM
yeh
its gonna cost a fortune to install windows on your topsides..
Should be much eaiser to find simeone that would sell or trade topsides with windows already>

Wander
11-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Just to be clear, are you talking about installing windows in the side panels of the top that are on the same leve as the door windows or are you talking about the alpine windows that are found on the curved sides of the roof?

Spend as much time as you can doing as much work as possible on your own, you need to learn the car and that is as good a way as I kow. Even if it is running well I would still drain and replace every fluid and grease everything with a zerts fitting-in addition to making sure all the fluids are topped off this will give you time in,around and under your Rover so will have a chance to find the things that are easy to miss.

IARover
11-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Going to a body shop would be a very expensive proposition, plus I would not trust them to do what I would want done. I would recommend stripping the paint, not fun, but not terrible. I just got done with a 109 PU and it works great. Previous owners had ground paint (and metal) and applied a ton of body filler - and frankly created themselves a lot more work than needed - not to mention A LOT more work for me!! I used a product called EFS-2500, works great, just let it work and cover it with 1 mil poly and let it set 24 hrs. you WILL need to put on more than one coat in some areas, and be very liberal with first application. Happy to tell you more if you're interested. Also, strip as much of it while it's still together.

MbogoRover
11-02-2010, 03:56 PM
yeh
its gonna cost a fortune to install windows on your topsides..
Should be much eaiser to find simeone that would sell or trade topsides with windows already>

I will admit that I would prefer to just trade / switch with someone who had sidepanels (roofsides) that already had windows in them and/or had openings for windows in them - any suggestions where I might start looking for such? Keep in mind that I live in Alaska :)

MbogoRover
11-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Just to be clear, are you talking about installing windows in the side panels of the top that are on the same leve as the door windows or are you talking about the alpine windows that are found on the curved sides of the roof?

Spend as much time as you can doing as much work as possible on your own, you need to learn the car and that is as good a way as I kow. Even if it is running well I would still drain and replace every fluid and grease everything with a zerts fitting-in addition to making sure all the fluids are topped off this will give you time in,around and under your Rover so will have a chance to find the things that are easy to miss.

To clarify, I am refering to the larger windows on the same level as the door windows and NOT the apline windows.

I am learning to become a mechanic with this Rover and am trying to follow your good suggestion and am doing as much of the work myself as I can - I am leaning heavily on manuals and the knowledge of Rover enthusiasts such as all of you here on the forums :)

MbogoRover
11-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Going to a body shop would be a very expensive proposition, plus I would not trust them to do what I would want done. I would recommend stripping the paint, not fun, but not terrible. I just got done with a 109 PU and it works great. Previous owners had ground paint (and metal) and applied a ton of body filler - and frankly created themselves a lot more work than needed - not to mention A LOT more work for me!! I used a product called EFS-2500, works great, just let it work and cover it with 1 mil poly and let it set 24 hrs. you WILL need to put on more than one coat in some areas, and be very liberal with first application. Happy to tell you more if you're interested. Also, strip as much of it while it's still together.

I am interested in learning more if your willing to take the time to share? Thank you in advance if such is the case.

Wander
11-03-2010, 11:07 AM
To clarify, I am refering to the larger windows on the same level as the door windows and NOT the apline windows.

I am learning to become a mechanic with this Rover and am trying to follow your good suggestion and am doing as much of the work myself as I can - I am leaning heavily on manuals and the knowledge of Rover enthusiasts such as all of you here on the forums :)

Thanks-I thought you meant those windows.

The great thing about series trucks is that nothing is very difficult and access is great. Sometimes it helps to take off a wing to gain better access but it's nothing like a modern car. The green bible is very complete although sometimes it can be a little confusing but give it time and keep at it. I am in the same place with my IIa-I had worked on cars before but wanted something a little more involved. Nothing has totally stumped me so far and it's still running so I guess I'm doing OK.