PDA

View Full Version : garage lift

Brian Holmes
11-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm posting this on some other forums too - I'm thinking about buying a lift for my garage/shop. I would really like to have some recommendations, opinions, experience, advice etc. for the home car hobbyist. I have about 12 feet vertical clearance in the garage.
Thanks,
Brian on Kootenay Lake
55 SI\69IIa, 94 Disco and a few old Volvos

bkreutz
11-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I've got a 4 post lift in my shop/garage. I chose a 4 post over a 2 post because the 2 posts seem to be designed for modern vehicles and aren't friendly to older vehicles. There are many sizes and types. Look through the advertised literature and see what fits your requirements. Look closely at the space underneath the decks when it's in the up position if you plan to park one underneath, I had to add some spacer blocks to add about 3" for clearance. Another thing to consider is length, if you get a 4 post they are quite long (20 - 22 feet). I got mine from Northern Tool because they had free shipping on it. 12 ft should be enough space. HTH

Wander
11-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I always see ads for lifts in Hemmings, similar to the one bkreutz has.

Sounds like a heck of a setup.:thumb-up:

BobJones
11-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't have one so can't recommend. I see ads in "old autos" magazine a lot for this company in Oakville, ON. Would be great to have one, good luck.

http://www.liftsuperstore.com/index2.php

I Leak Oil
11-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Make sure your slab is thick enough to handle it.

thixon
11-02-2010, 08:59 AM
IMO, the Bend Pak's are the best deal for the money. I hear mixed reviews on the back yard buddy. As for the many Chinese lifts, make your own decision there. 12 feet of space is plenty. The two post lifts require either a thicker slab, or piers to be poured where the two legs will stand.

If you go with a four post lift, go ahead and shuck out for the jack brace and drip pans. I'd also think about the castor set so you can move it around.

One other comment about the four post lifts is that they sway a little if you wrench on the car while its on the lift. Its a bit un-nerving at first, but you'll get used to it.

Overall, you'll really enjoy having the lift.

Rineheitzgabot
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I hear "Eagle Lifts" are worth looking into.

Crash
11-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Brian

There are a few choices for you in Canada - if you have a Princess Auto nearby they have a four post one for sale - probably from offshore.

The other choice is out of Calgary - http://www.carlift.ca/index.php

They have lots of choices of lifts and accessories and I have good things about their products.

Having worked 2 with 2 post lifts I would suggest that a 4 post unit might be safer for a casual user as it is really hard to positon the vehicle incorrectly. It also gives you a great "shelf" to spread your tools and parts around on!!

Crash

Tsmith
11-02-2010, 03:22 PM
If the vehicle is sitting on it's wheels, it still has to be jacked up to work on the suspension. A two post lift lifts the chassis.

yorker
11-02-2010, 04:29 PM
2 post gets in the way less often too. Also less there to get messed up with salt and snow and rust and grime. The little rollers seem to go to hell on the 4 post roller jacks and you end up fighting them. On the other hand they are somewhat more idiot proof, kind of hard to have a car fall off a drive on 4 post, a 2 post on the other hand...

adkrover
11-02-2010, 06:40 PM
I have a four post BendPak from Northern Tool and love it. The BendPak has a channel on the inside edges of the ramps so that you can have a sliding cross member (or two, one in front and one in back) that you can use to jack the frame up to take the load off of the suspension similar to a two post. The four post is freestanding but the 2 post requires bolting to the floor. You will need to make sure you have a pretty substantial floor to bolt to because if the vehicle is not perfectly balanced, it will put a lot of stress on those bolts and you certainly wouldn't want them ripping out of the floor with your truck 6 feet in the air.

Measure carefully and place obstacles in the location of the posts to make sure you can still move around. When it is in the full height position you can walk under it and when it is all the way down, you can walk over it but when that sucker is at half mast, it can be hard to maneuver around in a small garage.

Brian Holmes
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies, links etc. You're all helpful.
Cheers,
Brian

bkreutz
11-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Another option for lifting your vehicle are the air powered scissor lifts, certainly the slick way to go, but the price of two of them equal the price of the lift itself. (and the 4 post lift makes a handy workbench for bigger items;))

Donnie
11-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm posting this on some other forums too - I'm thinking about buying a lift for my garage/shop. I would really like to have some recommendations, opinions, experience, advice etc. for the home car hobbyist. I have about 12 feet vertical clearance in the garage.
Thanks,
Brian on Kootenay Lake
55 SI\69IIa, 94 Disco and a few old Volvos
Hi, when buying a lift you may want to look at the ALI web site. If you choose a 2 post, be sure to consider a symmetrical design as the ASYMMETRICAL has arms of diff. length's.
These are made for easy entry as most of the vehicle hangs out to the rear to allow the door to open w/o hitting the post. My 1st suggestion allows the truck to be centered on the lift......a much more comfortable position to be under. a bit more difficult to get in & out. But you have to weigh your needs...Donnie

RoverForm
11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
liking the roomie/clean set up in here.
not totally sure about the scissor lift though. looks super unstable.

http://granitehead.smugmug.com/Cars/New-Garage/DSC01951/673644307_LDAuc-M.jpg

this set up might be better. but with the LRs you've got to worry about the ceiling clearance.

http://www.erikaslist.com/Pictures/sIMG_7280.jpg

Rich Lambert
12-01-2010, 01:27 PM
liking the roomie/clean set up in here.
not totally sure about the scissor lift though. looks super unstable.

http://granitehead.smugmug.com/Cars/New-Garage/DSC01951/673644307_LDAuc-M.jpg

I wish it still looked that "roomie/clean". It's pretty much fully packed now. The scissor lift is stable...I wouldn't get under it if it wasn't and while it works great for the 911, I'm still trying to figure out a way to use it on the LR. The way the LR frame is laid out doesn't really lend itself to a scissor lift. I may try some 4x4's laid cross ways, or just go back to jack stands. I need to figure something out as my new rear crossmember arrived on Monday and I need to get it installed.

Crash
12-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Here is a neat link (http://www.garageguyz.ca/) for hoists and more!!

I only wish I had the room.

:thumb-up:

RoverForm
12-01-2010, 06:26 PM
I wish it still looked that "roomie/clean".
hey rich! what a coincidence (not really) that you're on this forum too. diggin' that garage.

what's the piece called that sits up atop the hood plate, that you can rest the windscreen on when folded forward?

anyone..?

LaneRover
12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
hey rich! what a coincidence (not really) that you're on this forum too. diggin' that garage.

what's the piece called that sits up atop the hood plate, that you can rest the windscreen on when folded forward?

anyone..?

on mine its called a 'tire' :D

RoverForm
12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
oh har har!

you know, the metal upside down 'U' that sits in the middle...

it's in rich's photo.

stonefox
12-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey Rich ,off the tread just a tick do you have any more pics posted of your 88. I've got a '63 88 in ''Sand'' still original paint and I'd like to see what a respray would look like . Beautiful truck by the way ,and the 911's are okay to I guess :D

Rich Lambert
12-01-2010, 09:46 PM
oh har har!

you know, the metal upside down 'U' that sits in the middle...

it's in rich's photo.

The hub hole in the wheel fits over the upside down 'U'.

Rich Lambert
12-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey Rich ,off the tread just a tick do you have any more pics posted of your 88. I've got a '63 88 in ''Sand'' still original paint and I'd like to see what a respray would look like . Beautiful truck by the way ,and the 911's are okay to I guess :D

You've got a PM