PDA

View Full Version : Dragging Brake, Thoughts?

LR Max
11-02-2010, 01:51 PM
1973 Series 3 109. Yep, got the overly complicated from 11" drums on it.

My passenger front brake is dragging. BUT it only drags when I bolt on the tire. If I don't have the wheel on, then it turns fairly free. Any ideas what the issue is?

Wheel bearing turns freely. However probably going to be replaced or at least re-packed because I bet its been overheated with that brake dragging.

Also at shop told me once upon a time that the lower slave cylinder was seized. Could this be the cause of the brake dragging? Kinda ok with that being the case, kill 2 birds with one stone :thumb-up:

Thanks.

artpeck
11-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Have you pulled and reinstalled your drums recently? If so check to make sure that they are fully seated best done with a good rubber mallet. If not this could cause the drum to angle slightly and rub a shoe when the wheel and tire Is installed.

I Leak Oil
11-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Also at shop told me once upon a time that the lower slave cylinder was seized. Could this be the cause of the brake dragging? Kinda ok with that being the case, kill 2 birds with one stone :thumb-up:

Thanks.

That could absolutely be the cause. No sense in trying anything else until you fix that.

LR Max
11-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Have you pulled and reinstalled your drums recently? If so check to make sure that they are fully seated best done with a good rubber mallet. If not this could cause the drum to angle slightly and rub a shoe when the wheel and tire Is installed.

This has been an ongoing problem. Drum has been pulled and re-installed multiple times.

For the slave cylinder, only thing holding me back right now is trying to find a brake bleeder. That'll make the job easy and I'll make my 109 brakes non-triple pump :thumb-up:

artpeck
11-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Weird that it only happen when there is weight on the drum. Unless I am misunderstanding suggests a drum issue as the wheel and drum move as one when properly seated.