PDA

View Full Version : High altitude jet at sea level?

ybt502r
11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
(and I'm not talking about the Blue Angels)

I'm taking my SIII petrol from Calgary down to the Pacific northwest. I'm moving overseas for a time and will be leaving it with my son there. Ultimately, I plan to get it back to our house in Colorado. It's got a Zenith (good shape, rebuilt) with a high altitude main jet to handle the air in Canada and Colorado. The Rover will be at sea level for an undetermined time but it won't get much action. Rather than re-jet the carb (that means I have to find the original jet), can I safely run it 'as is' at sea level for a while? I was thinking that I could pull the choke a bit while at lower altitudes (to lessen the air flow and avoid leaning out the mixture too much).

I believe that too lean of a mixture is hard on the valves over the long term. Question is, what is long term in this case? Anything else to be concerned with? I might get around to changing the jets anyway, but I'd like to know if anyone has worked around something like this before.

Cutter
11-02-2010, 10:34 PM
When I bought my rover it had a high altitude jet in it (different carb/engine but same concept). I was only able to get the truck to run decently with the choke pulled as you suggest here in RI at sea level. If it is temporary, that's what I'd do. I swapped out the needle but kept the old one in case I move somewhere with mountains. God that would be nice, I miss the west.