PDA

View Full Version : What's for breakfast?

Pegasus Parts
11-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I've worked out that you all (Americans and Canadians) refer to the front grille panel as the 'breakfast'.

Why?

What is the origin of this term?

Regards,

Confused from Blighty.

luckyjoe
11-03-2010, 07:16 PM
'Cause we wanted to draw your attention, and entice you to build them like your new bulkheads!

Pegasus Parts
11-03-2010, 07:18 PM
They are on the 'to do' list.....

ignotus
11-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I first heard the term in the early 80's. At that time it refered to the Series metal grill. The reason for the name at that time was that the Australian owners would take the grill off and cook breakfast on it. You could tell one so used by the blackened circle in the center of the grill.

gene

Wander
11-03-2010, 09:03 PM
My understanding is that it was a joke gone awry and has become "fact" and/or an odd term to use to be one of those in on the joke.

The idea of someone grilling on a galvanized grille is bad at best as they would poison themselves. Of course it only works for series I-IIa as the III grilles are plastic.

Maybe you can answer this one for me, why is what we call a fender called a wing in the U.K.?

mongoswede
11-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I've worked out that you all (Americans and Canadians) refer to the front grille panel as the 'breakfast'.

Why?

Regards,

Confused from Blighty.

I always thought that was a British thing actually. course we call everything different:

Aluminum vs Aluminium
Grill vs Breakfast
Hood vs Bonnet
Wing vs Fender
Vegemite vs Ipecac :D

lrdukdog
11-04-2010, 12:26 AM
I think the OZ answer is the correct one and they did/do cook on them.
Jim Wolf
Vegemite vs Ipecac or axle grease, SWMBO likes the stuff ...... uck!!

amcordo
11-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Why?

Regards,

Confused from Blighty.

You make bulkheads?

Eric W S
11-04-2010, 08:57 AM
They do. Check their websites.

When I priced it out it was cheaper to have Ike or someone stateside repair one reather than to purchase and have one shipped.

BE nice to have RN stock them, though...

EwS

amcordo
11-04-2010, 08:57 AM
http://www.finishing.com/217/03.shtml

TeriAnn
11-04-2010, 11:03 AM

Why?

Because if you use specialized "technical" terms derived to serve special interest groups (i.e. medical profession terms, or computer geek terms) it presents the illusion that you belong to that special interest group. It is a way for people to belong and everyone wants to belong to something greater than themselves.

Learning the technical language of a hobby is a way to integrate into the social aspects of a hobby.

Well, Near as I remember, the term was introduced by some OVLR club members into the LR mail list in the 1990's. I think it was done basically as a put on to convince a know it all newbie that 'breakfast' was the LR hobby in term for the radiator bulkhead.

As an explanation they said the Australian Land Rover veterans use the grille off a pre Series III truck as a grill over a camp fire to cook their breakfast. THEREFORE because they used the grille to cook breakfast, the radiator bulkhead that the grille was attached to as called a 'breakfast' and the grille was still called a grille. Really great logic.

At the time several people pointed out that the zinc plating on the grille was toxic. That if the zinc plating was burned off they would be left with a rusty grille on their truck. And one or two asked that if the grille was used to grill breakfast why wasn't it used to grill dinner and why not call it the dinner?

No one seemed to ask the question "If the grille was used to cook breakfast, why call the radiator bulkhead a breakfast and not the grille?"

Somehow the OVLR club folks not only convinced their target person the the radiator bulkhead was called a breakfast because Australians used it to cook their bacon, but they also convinced a lot of relative newbies on the list as well.

The folks who started this had the Ottawa Valley Land Rover club web site and the Land Rover FAQ web site. So they added the term to both sites.

The LR email list is composed predominately of North Americans, the Two web sites are North America based, so since then everyone in North America who wanted to be a member of the Series Land Rover IN GROUP started calling the radiator bulkhead a breakfast because supposedly a unknown size group of Australians couldn't be bothered to carry a grill in their truck and removed the grille off their trucks, burned off the galvanized coating and used the grille as a grill only to cook breakfast and not lunch or dinner.

I thought the story was awfully silly at the time and that no one would take it seriously. But if it is in writing in respected web sites it must be true.

Since then somehow, a part that did not get removed from the truck became known by North Americans as a breakfast because supposedly a part that was attached to the radiator bulkhead was removed and used as a grill for cooking breakfast but not lunch or dinner.

Everyone wants to belong to something greater than themselves and using the group technical term helps them belong. But I still chuckle at people who use the term "breakfast" for the radiator bulkhead and it tends to confuse the Brits, Australians and South African LR folks who had never heard of the terms before the North Americans started using it.

When in doubt about the correct term of a Series Land Rover part look to see what the factory Land Rover workshop manual or owners manual, or parts book calls it. You can never go wrong by using the same term that the Land Rover factory does.

greenmeanie
11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Same question asked elsewhere with a more detailed answer (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37202&highlight=breakfast&page=3).

SafeAirOne
11-04-2010, 12:30 PM
When in doubt about the correct term of a Series Land Rover part look to see what the factory Land Rover workshop manual or owners manual, or parts book calls it. You can never go wrong by using the same term that the Land Rover factory does.

That's right:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/5145839473_73e26b4fe7_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/5145839347_b27450df81_z.jpg

SafeAirOne
11-04-2010, 12:33 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/5145850825_39f34067bb_z.jpg

LaneRover
11-04-2010, 12:55 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/5145850825_39f34067bb_z.jpg

Good one though!

Les Parker
11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Maybe to resolve the spell/mis-spell btween grille and grill ?

A rose by any other name is still a tulip...........

TeriAnn
11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Dixon Kenner
The term pre-existed that mailing list, and if anything, there may be references to the term on the original "British-Cars" mailing list that spawned all of the various lists that followed. However, suffice it to say, the term pre-existed the Internet in Canada. I can't speak for the Aussies or Brits. If it is a Canadian term, then good for us at introducing it to the world... :-) What is so bad about that? We don't begrudge the Americans for calling the wings fenders!

Well, Maybe Dixon & friends were using that term among themselves for years before they sprung it on the LRO mail list as the proper in term to be using, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't used on the original british car mailing list. I was one of the founding members of the british car email list and would have known.

Here is the email list family tree:

rec.autos was the first place where people posted about various cars.

Around 1987 a guy who owned an MGB and worked at Apollo computers sent emails out to people who were posting to rec.autos about British cars letting them know he was starting a British car email list and inviting us to join. It became the first of the team.net auto email lists.

Around the beginning of 1990 the powers that be decided that Land Rovers were too different from the British sports cars that the LRO email list was created as the first marque spin off from the original british car mail list. Those of us with Land Rovers on the british car list joined the new Land Rover list.

Then in 1994 the LRO list found a lot of new Discovery and Defender members who didn't care anything about Series trucks (the sole topic of discussion before then) and were concerned about which CD changers fit the dash, interior water leaks, oil leaks and warranty issues. Around 1996 after a lot of friction between the old guard Series owners and the nouveau coiler owners the RRO mailing list was created for the coiler owners to separate the leafer owners from the coiler owners to reduce bickering.

Very soon there after a bunch of area specific lists were split off plus some club lists formed.

Wouldn't it have been more accurate to call the radiator bulkhead the "toxic for breakfast only grill mount"????

yorker
11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Wouldn't it have been more accurate to call the radiator bulkhead the "toxic for breakfast only grill mount"????

I think calling it what it is works fine, a Radiator Grille Panel. Maybe Radiator Panel for short.
:thumb-up:

Broadstone
11-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Well I was married in England and after the wedding the gathering was called the "wedding breakfast" even though it was in the afternoon. This was because it was your "first" meal as a married couple. Maybe it is called breakfast because it shows up first?

LaneRover
11-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Well I was married in England and after the wedding the gathering was called the "wedding breakfast" even though it was in the afternoon. This was because it was your "first" meal as a married couple. Maybe it is called breakfast because it shows up first?

So the oil stains on the drive would be a midnight snack?

disco2hse
11-06-2010, 11:03 PM
So the oil stains on the drive would be a midnight snack?

A little double intendre :o

Terri-Ann. Thank you that was hilarious :D Until this discussion I had never heard the term before and being in an ex-colony I have owned British vehicles most of my adult life. So you can add New Zealand to that list.

jimsshuman
11-07-2010, 08:08 AM
seems to me that there some folks who think they know everything, and then there are some who don't but just love to agrue, about anything!!:confused:

call it what ever the h*ll you want too! its the front part! if you have an sIII like myself, its the part that breaks! (one of many):cheers:

TeriAnn
11-09-2010, 08:36 AM
seems to me that there some folks who think they know everything, and then there are some who don't but just love to agrue, about anything!!:confused:

call it what ever the h*ll you want too! its the front part! if you have an sIII like myself, its the part that breaks! (one of many):cheers:

I thought this thread had run its course and was dead but I am under the impression that this last post is aimed directly at me since I provided the answer to the original poster's question. And some people had some good natured fun with the term.

Personally I felt your posting is a bit mean spirited. The gentleman asked a question about origin of a term in common use among internet connected North American Series LR owners. I was there when the term was first introduced to to LRO email list and participated in the discussion at the time. So I felt obliged to answer his question as best as I remember events unfolding. If you were there and remember events unfolding differently, you are welcome to differ with my recollection. Criticize the information I presented if your memory differs but not the person who was trying to be helpful.

However I feel that calling me "a know it all" just because I was trying to answer a question about the origin of a local slang term as best as I could recollect is a bit over the top and contributed nothing to the thread beyond a certain meanness.

And yes I can be argumentative at times but I try very hard to stay away from mean spirited. But if you find my postings to be offensive please feel free to not read them or or disagree with the information that I am presenting (I'm not always right and sometimes misread the question) or complain to the forum moderators about them. I will always respect the moderator's recommendations.

yorker
11-09-2010, 08:54 AM
I thought this thread had run its course and was dead but I am under the impression that this last post is aimed directly at me since I provided the answer to the original poster's question...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NdX-KofnaKI/S8SI1Jgra1I/AAAAAAAACZQ/f235fT0iwyI/s1600/chill_pill.jpg

This thread had had run its course. Really no need for a diatribe just because you felt jimsshuman may have possibly posted something "aimed at you".

lincoln lass
01-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks Yorker. Now I know.:D

stonefox
01-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Doctor told me :"Take two and call him in the morning":D

chrismccarthy
01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
I always thought that was a British thing actually. course we call everything different:

Aluminum vs Aluminium
Grill vs Breakfast
Hood vs Bonnet
Wing vs Fender
Vegemite vs Ipecac :DVegemite vs Ipecac<--that thar is fun nee!!

jp-
01-08-2012, 06:20 PM
That's right:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/5145839473_73e26b4fe7_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/5145839347_b27450df81_z.jpg

That's some good editing Safe. Did you do Obama's birth certificate too?:)

mr.toad
01-09-2012, 11:21 AM
All this breakfast talk is making me hungry for my first leafer. I'll keep lurking and saving my $$ for a IIa...:)