PDA

View Full Version : Hand Crank?

LC_rover
11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Hand cranking won't work if the battery is completely dead will it?

I have cranked mine before when the battery was weak, but this time I left the head lamps on, and its deader than dead. Hand cranking is not working.

Much appreciate confirmation before I twist my arm off trying.

artpeck
11-05-2010, 06:28 PM
The coil takes it power from the battery if I remember the wiring diagram correctly. Additionally I cant imagine that there would be enough current coming off the alternator/generator during hand cranking to power the coil. I can't definitively say yes to your question but I strongly suspect you are right as you would have no spark.

RoverForm
11-05-2010, 08:25 PM
my experience is that it will not start.

hand cranking on my series works well, however, if there is no juice it will not start.

luckyjoe
11-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Alternator = No.
Generator = Yes.

LC_rover
11-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks Guys. I got a quick charge and a jump from a friend and it fired right up.
One thing I noticed... after the hand crank failed attempts... it started with just a bump of the key on a charged battery. I might just crank the old girl over by hand on cold mornings... call it foreplay... and save some wear and tear on the starter.

msggunny
11-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks Guys. I got a quick charge and a jump from a friend and it fired right up.
One thing I noticed... after the hand crank failed attempts... it started with just a bump of the key on a charged battery. I might just crank the old girl over by hand on cold mornings... call it foreplay... and save some wear and tear on the starter.

Have fun with that!

Make sure you use your legs and not your back, keep your thumbs out of the way too.

I used to have to hand crank mine on rather frequent occurrences until i found the break in the charging wire from my alternator.

Were you trying it all by your self or did you have an assistant to work the throttle?

I used to place a piece of 2x4 on the pedal or prop the linkage down a bit with a screw driver to give it gas when it fired. Would have worked better with someone in the drivers seat.

gudjeon
11-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Thats why I use 0w50 or 5w40 for cold weather. It cranks over in the dead of winter if the battery is up for it. No precranking to get it loose.

Jeff Aronson
11-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Lucky Joe and MSGunny are correct. A Rover with an alternator needs current in order to start at all, crank or no crank. A Rover with a generator will start with a dead battery as the generator will produce a bit of current as it's turned by the crank.

I have coverted one Rover to an alternator and still have one with a generator. When I crank start either, I move the throttle lever up some to help it start. If the points are in good shape, and there's no vacuum leak, it will start on the first or second try.

And pay attention to the safety warnings, too :).

Jeff

mrdoiron
11-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I have a series 3 lightweight where the hand crank mounts up under the hood... but is missing... any idea where I can find a replacement ?

mrdoiron@gmail.com

many thanks, mike

thixon
11-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I really hate to add this...and started not to...but...you could start an alternated car via a hand crank with a dead battery. The relative ease at which one could do this would depend on the alternator and how it was wired up. At any rate, you'd have to be able to spin the engine fast enough to reach the rpm required to excite the alternator into producing current. Yes I understand you'd have to be superman with most cars. You can also "trick" the alternator into self exciting and then turn the crank. I don't want to type out a book here. Research it it you're interested.

mrdoiron
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
I really hate to add this...and started not to...but...you could start an alternated car via a hand crank with a dead battery. The relative ease at which one could do this would depend on the alternator and how it was wired up. At any rate, you'd have to be able to spin the engine fast enough to reach the rpm required to excite the alternator into producing current. Yes I understand you'd have to be superman with most cars. You can also "trick" the alternator into self exciting and then turn the crank. I don't want to type out a book here. Research it it you're interested.

Will check it out.

My lightweight doesn's have an alternator however, but rather a 90A generator !