PDA

View Full Version : Windshield wiper question

Bilbo42
11-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi. I am just now having to change my wiper blades because the rubber wore out and I am confused at a couple of things on the Rovers North site. I have a 1974 Series III Lightweight FFR and my wiper arms are like the ones referred to in catalog and on the site as the "later straight type". In otherwords, my arms don't have the hook on their ends, they are just straight. What I am confused about is the reference to 5mm and 7mm wide arms. I took my old wiper blades off then sent my landie over to a friend's house for him to look at something and he is out of town for two weeks and his garage is locked. I did not think to measure the width of the wiper arms where they are inserted into the blades. I didn't dream I would need to know that. because I have the old blades. Anyway, the slot in my wiper blades (I have the sprung type and would like to repalce them with the sprung type) measure 7mm wide so I would assume I need the ones for the arm identifed as 1 and 2 in the diagram on the site which refers to blades 3 and 7 (which is the unsprung and the sprung blaeds respectively) , however when I go to item 3 Part PLD285 it says they are for the 5mm arm and 7 which is RNF238 it says it is for the 7mm arm!??? I know its my fault I didn't measure the blame width of my arms but I can't now and I need to order with winter here. Any thoughs..is the site wrong and they are all for 7mm arms ..hopefully? Thansk Bbil

jac04
11-07-2010, 07:10 PM
If the opening in your current blades is 7mm, then just order the RNF238 wiper blades. While your at it, it looks like the LH arm isn't clocked properly on the splined adapter. Both blades should sit down at the bottom of the windscreen.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_2136.jpg

Bilbo42
11-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. Yea, I have never even paid much attention to the wipers. So much more interesting stuff. I will try to fix that. Best regards, Bil

Bilbo42
11-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Great looking rover. You realy took your time with it and did well. Bil