PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover gasket. 2.25 petrol (pics)

fred98050
11-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Just got a 109 with a 2.25l petrol engine. It has the high compression head on it. Oil is leaking at the base at the cover gasket. On the pictures you can see quite a bit of washers were used to get the cover tight (that's my guess).
I also have an 88 and it seems that I can see 2 gaskets at the base of the cover...

Is using 2 gaskets pretty common?

Tomorrow I am going to try to replace the gasket on the 109 (first time for me), should I use 2 gaskets? How about some sealant? And last question whats the torque spec for the bolts on the valve cover?

Thank you.

Frederic

albersj51
11-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Mine has a single gasket, and the bolts don't have any washers or grommets on them just the bolt...of course mine could be wrong

Terrys
11-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Use a single 1/4" Cork gasket. Apply Hy Tac to the valve cover, nothing between gasket and head. The reason you have the wrong rubber grommets and so many washers is the studs that thread into the rocket caps are too long. I don't know if there is a torque spec for the rocker cover. I just snug it down and thats all.

Nium
11-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Torque on valve cover nuts should be about 10 ft lbs. Really not that much torque at all. I will color the gasket with red RTV by applying to gasket, working it in with fingers so that it turns the gasket a slight red color but so that there isn't any excess.

Howsomever
11-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I tried for years to make the cork gaskets to work. Initially everything is fine no leaks. With time the cork shrinks in size and they start to leak. My latest gasket I made with rubber and glued it to the valve cover. After a year it still sticks out all the way around. Time will tell.

Howsomever
63 IIA 88 with 120,000 miles, stock motor

TedW
11-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Around $18 IIRC. Got one but haven't installed it yet. Looks good, though.

Eric W S
11-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Why bother? Just one of those wear and tear items. Buy two and use gasket prep. Leaks swap it out next time you adjust the valvels...

Am I missing something here?

fred98050
11-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Use a single 1/4" Cork gasket. Apply Hy Tac to the valve cover, nothing between gasket and head. The reason you have the wrong rubber grommets and so many washers is the studs that thread into the rocket caps are too long. I don't know if there is a torque spec for the rocker cover. I just snug it down and thats all.

Completed the job today. Thanks for the help.