PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signals, Heater Won't Work

vbdave26
11-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Fuse just blows. Can't find short. Any idea's?

Also, signals work fine with the hazard lights?

Thanks
Dave

83 Series III Stage 1 109

Les Parker
11-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Is this a Series III?
Check the connection for the Smiths heater, it is likely to be either a bad motor winding or resistor for blower speed.
Disconnect the blower wiring and see if the indicators work.
Or, using a Avo meter or similar, test all the wires on both indicator and heater circuits and see which is going directly to ground.

vbdave26
11-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Hey Les,
Yes it is a series III. The turn signals were working off and on and the head was working. When they stopped working, I could mess with the wiring behind the emergency switch/rear fog assembly on the dash and they would start again.

Now I get nothing and have looked over all of the wiring for a ground. Will try your suggestions.

vbdave26
11-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Do you mean the connection at the dash or at the heater in the engine bay?

Les Parker
11-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Dave,

I would start at the connection in the engine bay, thus disabling the blower and the power draw on the harness.

singingcamel
11-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Bad ignition switch or loose connection at the mian switch or a loose connection at the starter switch

txffjim
11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Have you made sure all the grounds are good?

vbdave26
11-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Scarily, I am having to teach myself auto electrics as I go along. Should make it fun.

artpeck
11-11-2010, 08:34 AM
It is pretty easy actually and at least you aren't working with high voltage. I would encourage you to get a decent multimeter which can be had for less than 20 bucks at harbor freight or the equivalent. And then spend some quality time staring at the wiring diagram in your green bible. It is very straight forward and like everything else in the truck there isn't that much going on to make it too difficult to figure out.

osajaj
11-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry to jump in here, but somewhat in the same situation with the heat. Not sure if it is working, or the fan is just not blowing. How do I check if the fan is blowing air or not. There seems to be an aftermarket "heat" knob. Tried it both ways but doesn't seem to do anything. Pulled out the other "heat" knob to have the valve open, not sure what I should check or where to start.

LaneRover
11-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but somewhat in the same situation with the heat. Not sure if it is working, or the fan is just not blowing. How do I check if the fan is blowing air or not. There seems to be an aftermarket "heat" knob. Tried it both ways but doesn't seem to do anything. Pulled out the other "heat" knob to have the valve open, not sure what I should check or where to start.

Not much is quiet in these trucks, if the fan is running you should be able to hear it. Some trucks have a heater intake that faces forward and thus will 'flow' even with no fan working as long as you are moving.

If you can't hear it I would say your fan isn't working. Many times pics help as we don't know what heater you have in your truck.

Brent

osajaj
11-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Gotcha, i will try tonight or tomorrow and post some pictures. Sorry about that.

vbdave26
11-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all of the help. Picked up a decent multimeter, got me green bible in the mail today, and have all of tomorrow to stare at my truck.

LaneRover
11-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all of the help. Picked up a decent multimeter, got me green bible in the mail today, and have all of tomorrow to stare at my truck.

You may get frustrated at first but don't worry you'll start to get it. I do vehicle electrics occasionally so usually I need to sit down and refigure out how it works first. Luckily a Rover is pretty darn simple electrically and usually the biggest problem is figuring out how people bandaid fixed it before you.