PDA

View Full Version : Truck does not shut off right away??

fred98050
11-09-2010, 06:19 PM
2.25 petrol, Crane electronic ignition (with electronic box), standard coil. new spark plugs and wires.
Push to start switch.
12 volts neg earth.

When I turn off the ignition key the truck would almost stop but then sputter for a few seconds before actually shutting down completely.

Looking for cause, where to start?

Thank you.

Frederic

albersj51
11-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Have you checked your timing? Mine did (does) that and adjusting the timing helped...still needs some minor adjustment.

printjunky
11-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Oddly, it's called dieseling. Even in petrol cars. I guess because it acts like diesel "run-on," but is much less potentially disasterous (google it and check out some of those videos).

I'd suspect timing first, probably. But it could be a number of things.

Here's a non-Rover-specific primer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieseling

btw, no solution yet. I have other non-running timing/ignition issues I'm sorting, so dieseling is low on the priority list.

RoverForm
11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
mine also does this after being run for awhile.

i've been told to pop the clutch to stall it for a quick shut of solution.

but i've always felt like i'd look like a newb coming to a jerking stalled stop in front of the club on a friday night...

BackInA88
11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Mine did the same thing until I installed a fuel cut off soleniod I got from Les on the weber carb, now it shuts right down.:thumb-up:

Steve

albersj51
11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Nah! The jerking stop outside the club is cool! Its like havin hydraulics. :)

mine also does this after being run for awhile.

i've been told to pop the clutch to stall it for a quick shut of solution.

but i've always felt like i'd look like a newb coming to a jerking stalled stop in front of the club on a friday night...

fred98050
11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Oddly, it's called dieseling. Even in petrol cars. I guess because it acts like diesel "run-on," but is much less potentially disasterous (google it and check out some of those videos).

I'd suspect timing first, probably. But it could be a number of things.

Here's a non-Rover-specific primer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieseling

btw, no solution yet. I have other non-running timing/ignition issues I'm sorting, so dieseling is low on the priority list.

Great info! Thanks.

The truck is new to me so I started with the carb (weber 34ict) and following the instruction for "tune up" it turn out that it was running way too rich. This might not be the end of the issue but it's a step.

I am really far from being a pro and I don't know if I can do the timing by myself...

Frederic

stomper
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
do a search on this forum, there are several ways to adjust the timing. The beer method, as outlined by safeoneair, and also a static timing method, which I believe Nick Dawson outlined quite nicely about 3 weeks or so ago.

It really is quite simple to adjust, (as long as your Dizzy is installed correctly) just take your time, and you will be fine.

yorker
11-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I am really far from being a pro and I don't know if I can do the timing by myself...

Frederic

A retarded and blind chimpanzee with Parkinsons could time these things, It really is that easy. :thumb-up:

RoverForm
11-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Nah! The jerking stop outside the club is cool! Its like havin hydraulics. :)

wait you mean i'n not the only person who drives their old LR to the club?!

Mine did the same thing until I installed a fuel cut off soleniod I got from Les on the weber carb, now it shuts right down.

Steve

what about for a solex?

NickDawson
11-10-2010, 08:32 PM
The beer method, as outlined by safeoneair, and also a static timing method, which I believe Nick Dawson outlined quite nicely about 3 weeks or so ago.

do not, I repeat, do not take any advice from me :D

My 2.5 L petrol diesels like read about (its a turn phrase, go with it). I'm actually fairly sure my timing is pretty close - in my case, I'm 99% sure its the fuel cutoff solenoid.

Sans mine, the rest of the advice you've gotten is sound - check the timing, its the likely cause.