PDA

View Full Version : Winter work space may fall through

kwd509
11-10-2010, 08:11 PM
It looks like my hoped-for work space to begin repair of my 1964 2a may not come together as I'd hoped........ The vehicles, my rover and a donor, have been outside for years so one more winter is not likely to be too detrimental (though neither truck has seen a new england winter), but I'm rethinking what I can do during the winter, developing more modest goals. What can be removed and brought inside for work? Wheel cylinders rebuild, master cylinders, etc. Are there other obvious items I can focus on for winter projects, and then begin the work in earnest once the weather breaks?

Open for suggestions.

fred98050
11-10-2010, 09:31 PM
It looks like my hoped-for work space to begin repair of my 1964 2a may not come together as I'd hoped........ The vehicles, my rover and a donor, have been outside for years so one more winter is not likely to be too detrimental (though neither truck has seen a new england winter), but I'm rethinking what I can do during the winter, developing more modest goals. What can be removed and brought inside for work? Wheel cylinders rebuild, master cylinders, etc. Are there other obvious items I can focus on for winter projects, and then begin the work in earnest once the weather breaks?

Open for suggestions.

Don't know if it is needed but...
Gauges, windshield wiper motors, carb clean up are a few small things that can be done indoors.

artpeck
11-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Not knowing what state your starting point is nor what "inside" means...anything that is removable. A lot will be cosmetic so that may or may not matter to you. Some electrical and and some also mechanical. Lots of bits come off. Breakfast, radiator, etc and other bits under the hood. Brake drums and the guts underneath. The whole interior. There is always something to do.

jac04
11-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Every part of a Series Land Rover will fit through a typical sliding glass door. I know because I've done it.

Eric W S
11-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Most fit through a normal door as well. My bulkhead is in my second bedroom....

EwS

LaneRover
11-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Years ago my dad repaired a transmission in the bathtub. Mom was not pleased at all. It wasn't a Rover transmission but I think it applies.

Do you have any sort of workspace area or are you talking about doing this in the living room or kitchen?

I have done a lot of work outside in the winter. I have found one of the best things to do is to go to a Surplus store and get the cold weather glove inserts which are pretty thin and then put rubber gloves over those. It allows for quite a bit of dexterity and does a pretty good job of keeping your hands warm.

fred98050
11-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Most fit through a normal door as well. My bulkhead is in my second bedroom....

EwS

Are married? :D

Frederic

Eric W S
11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Are married? :D

Frederic

Nope. Which why I have closet space, Weekends free, and most of a 1966 SWB in my second bedroom.

The girlfriend feigned interest in it at first, but now refers to it as junk left over from the jurassic age. Hence my Rover's name - Jurassic.

fred98050
11-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Nope. Which why I have closet space, Weekends free, and most of a 1966 SWB in my second bedroom.

The girlfriend feigned interest in it at first, but now refers to it as junk left over from the jurassic age. Hence my Rover's name - Jurassic.

I like the "Jurassic" name story, but what are "closet space" and "free weekends" exactly?

Can't remember what they mean anymore....:D

73series88
11-12-2010, 09:42 AM
when i was rebuilding my first mga all i had in navy housing was a car port that was only closed on one side. when it got to the point when it was just bitter cold, i was rebuildig all sorts of things in the spare room.
i would wet sand and prime wet sand and paint things like dash panel and most of the other parts. funny thing is when i came time to put it together in the spring all i had to is put it all together. except for the frame and body tub everything else was done. if i was single and had a bigger living room door i bet i would have gotten the frame and tub in as well. always wanted a private car collection "in" my house.