PDA

View Full Version : Old Tire Safety Question

artpeck
11-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Now that the project is running I have to focus on tires. Current rubber are Firestone Town and Country Snow Biter G78 15. Lots of tread so read almost unused but hardly new. Were sitting semi inflated for 16 years +. I reinflated and they hold pressure fine but have lots of superficial cracks in the tread and sidewalls. My question is whether they are safe to drive on for puttering about or I need to duo them asap. My next project step will be to disassemble the body work for painting and the wheels will need to be blasted and painted also at which point I will put new tires back on but I wanted to at least enjoy driving e truck for a little while before going to the next step. Any thoughts appreciated.
And if anyone is aching for a set of 5 fairly unused but old bias ply tires please speak up.

LR Max
11-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Do you just bum around the farm and locally? Then probably fine.

However if you are going highway, DD it or drive to the trail, then they probably aren't too safe.

I just had a set of 13 year old tires break belts on me. It really sucks and I cannot recommend it.

artpeck
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks. That is exactly my concern. That everything in the tire was brittle from age. I have to say I was even a little wary as I was inflating them.
For the moment I am only driving around the neighborhood and the notion of getting on the freeway/highway is still terrifying.

73series88
11-12-2010, 09:46 AM
yeh even if they have good tread i woldnt go to fast or to far
had tires that were 8 years old when i got my porsche and they looked new but when i looked closer they had little dry rot cracks all over them
not very safe
aaron