PDA

View Full Version : Alpine window seal replacement

fred98050
11-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I am planing on replacing the seals on the alpine windows tomorrow.

Looks like the current seals have been there so long that the rubber has petrified...:D

Any advise as to avoid catastrophe and make the job a bit easier?

Thank you

-Frederic

txffjim
11-12-2010, 07:42 PM
While you have the windows out... could you please measure the opening to see how much bigger it is than the window? It'll make it easier when I cut holes in my roof.

fred98050
11-12-2010, 08:08 PM
While you have the windows out... could you please measure the opening to see how much bigger it is than the window? It'll make it easier when I cut holes in my roof.

Sure, I'll post the measurements tomorrow.

Mountain132
11-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Make sure you have both rubber pieces, the wide external piece and the internal filler strip. If you bought it on the roll you have to cut it. wrap it around the window and add a few inches before you cut it as it shortens when you compress it, then you can cut the last inch off when you get to the end.

use soapy water to help ease the filler strip in and use a flat head screw driver or something to push it in. There is a special tool for the filler strip. Other than that just keep at it as it takes a while.

The slot that the filler strip goes in is not completely centered in the seal. I'm not sure it the thicker side points towards the window or away or if it even matters at all. Maybe someone on here knows. Look at it before you pull it off the window.

fred98050
11-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Make sure you have both rubber pieces, the wide external piece and the internal filler strip. If you bought it on the roll you have to cut it. wrap it around the window and add a few inches before you cut it as it shortens when you compress it, then you can cut the last inch off when you get to the end.

use soapy water to help ease the filler strip in and use a flat head screw driver or something to push it in. There is a special tool for the filler strip. Other than that just keep at it as it takes a while.

The slot that the filler strip goes in is not completely centered in the seal. I'm not sure it the thicker side points towards the window or away or if it even matters at all. Maybe someone on here knows. Look at it before you pull it off the window.

Good stuff.

Thanks

F

fred98050
11-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Having trouble with the seal replacement...

- Removed old seal> easy
- Insert new rubber seal > So so...
- Insert window> easy
- Inserting second rubber seal inside main one> so far, impossible....

Gave up tonight, will try again tomorrow....

Some advise for first timers: Complete one window first before removing seal on the other one. Might take you longer than you expected...

F

fred98050
11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Done!:D

Having the right tools makes all the difference in the world....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9woYneIgyk

Terrys
11-14-2010, 07:18 PM
I've always put the filler in 180 degrees from the main seal. Butt joint of the main seal should be, as you did, on the bottom, and butt joint of the filler at the top.

fred98050
11-14-2010, 08:04 PM
I've always put the filler in 180 degrees from the main seal. Butt joint of the main seal should be, as you did, on the bottom, and butt joint of the filler at the top.

Thanks. I'll remove the filler and redo it.