PDA

View Full Version : temp gauge

siii8873
11-12-2010, 10:13 PM
is there a difference between the water temp sending units of a 69 IIa and 74 III? Ever since I put my 69 engine in the 74 the temp gauge has always read right betweem white (cold) and normal. I put my radiator muff on today and went to store. The temp came up to about mid range.
I got home and smelled raiator fluid, truck was hot. Befor the engine swap the temp always ran just shy of mid range, same for the 73 I had.
I'm sure the gauge is not reading correctly,low. I'm going to change thermostat and switch sending units.

siii8873
11-14-2010, 12:24 PM
I removed my T-Stat housing and prepared to install new one. Something amiss? I grabbed the one off the the 74 engine and sure enough a sleeve has been installed in the one on the 69 engine. I'll swith housings for now. This makes it the engine, starter, tstat housing borrowed from project rover. I assume this was added and not a different style land rover made. Anyone know? Picture attached I hope, never good at that.
Thanks
Bob

siii8873
11-14-2010, 12:30 PM
One more question. I have never had the best luck sealing these housings. Do you use any sealant on the gaskets?

stomper
11-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Looks like if you were gentle, you could tap that sleeve out of the housing, and be set. Nice to have a spare rover lying around for parts! Since it is all apart, why not lightly sand the two mating surfaces perfectly flat, like it is discussed for the zeinith carbs. Then when you place the gasket in, you will be sure of a good seal.

siii8873
11-15-2010, 07:36 AM
I did lap all the mating surface clean and flat. When I took the parts back off I found a little grit , recleaned, sealed, installed no leaks.
The spare rover is nice to have, keeps the daily driver going. Then I just replace the parts for that truck when I get to that part of restoring it.

siii8873
11-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Test ran the truck tonight with new Tstat. Wow what a difference in the heat it puts out. The gauge now reads about mid range, tad above with the 88c thermostat installed. I'm notsure that original one was doing much as it never registered above the top of cold , white, range.
Did have one setback. I removed the temp sender from original engine. When removing it the adapter came out also. When I reinstalled the adapter it stripped its threads. I looked at threads in block and I think they were quite corroded, now essentially shot also. The threads deeper in than the adapter look fine. I need to repair this, Any suggestions?

Les Parker
11-15-2010, 08:47 PM
How about using a helicoil?

siii8873
11-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Les, do you know the thread on the adapter?

Les Parker
11-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Do you mean the thread to the cylinder head or to the temp sender?

siii8873
11-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Les,
to the cylinder head that's what is stripped. Need to know that to see if I can get a helicoil to match. I will also need to locate a replacement sender adaptor.
thanks
Bob