PDA

View Full Version : crane cams xr 700

cousindave
11-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi everyone....afetr four long years without a land rover; my wife swearing we would NEVER get another one, she surprises me with "I want to get a cool car to drive around; What if we get another Land Rover?" :p So here I am with my head buried under the hood, now this time scratching my head wondering- what have I gotten myself into?....
Anyway, she's a series III 88" with weber two barrel dgv carb mounted on a pierce manifold and rns on a crane xr 700 electronic ignition and she came with a huge stack of repair receipts. My problem is she will not run smoothly at all she keeps backfiring and sputtering... I checked the spark plugs and they were a combination of accel plugs and bosch platinum plugs :eek: Anyway, they were all sooty black.. which makes me suspect the carburetor... So I find a bag of jets with a repair bill inside which read"Customer complains of backfiring bucking...adjusted carburetor replaced jets car runs fine.."
OK...... So I replace the sparkplugs and I start her up and let her warm up and take her for a spin she runs well.. I take her up my steep driveway and she starts bucking againhttp://www.roversnorth.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif.. Now I'm wondering faulty electronic ignition(wiring arcing) or bad distributor or the stupid carburetor. I know i know very longwinded post but I promise this will be the longest...Any thoughts anyone

msggunny
11-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Could be the carb. My 32/36 runs rich as hell.

What about the distributor, is it loose? They tend to wobble on occasion.....

cousindave
11-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi gunny, do you know of hand what jets you are running? I'm pretty close to sea level as well.

msggunny
11-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Hi gunny, do you know of hand what jets you are running? I'm pretty close to sea level as well.

I can in a bit. i forgot to write them down the last time i did it.

Its still not running right, i am going to try and find someone who knows how to tune these carbs and get it done right.

Or just go ahead with my plans to put a diesel in.....