PDA

View Full Version : starter?

cousindave
11-16-2010, 03:34 PM
My series won't crank when hot; what gives?

Les Parker
11-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Does not turn over at all?
Have you checked to see if power is getting to the solenoid and starter switch?

We need some further data to assist with problem solving.

:confused:

albersj51
11-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Where do you live? Is your engine running hot? Does it only do it after a long run? Given the time of year vapor lock seems unlikely, but i guess its possible.

Terrys
11-16-2010, 04:58 PM
With your meter, check that you have 12 volts at the output of the solenoid, and at the terminal on the starter. Check that the nuts are tight on the solenoid, and starter. If they're tight, and you have voltage at the starter terminal, likely issue is the brushes are sticking in the slides of the end plate. These need to be lubed with a good white grease like lubriplate. Pull the starter, remove the two long screw-headed bolts and pull the end plate off. If the commuutator looks glazed, take a piece of fine sandpaper and wrap it around the commutator and twist. Blow it off good to get any grit out of the grooves between the individual contacts.

cousindave
11-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the terrific responses! Here's some more info: seriesIII 1973 i installed a new ignition switch (britpart) but the solinoid is a ford style universal. I'll start her up fine let her warm up drivers her a couple of miles shut her down try to restart her and nothing. Wait about five minutes and she starts right up without
a hitch. Thanks again for the help.

NickDawson
11-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Does the soleinoid engage? Do you hear the click? What about the armature, do you hear the starter spinning?

Like terrys said, check the voltage. While you are at it, check the ignition voltages. If the starter is cranking and it just won't fire, the ignition (points and timing) would seem likely suspects.

cousindave
11-17-2010, 12:09 AM
She starts perfectly. I'll drive her until she is nice and warm. I shut her down, try to restart and nothing . No cranking at all... If she sits for five minutes she'll restart perfectly.

cousindave
11-18-2010, 04:14 AM
Was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

NickDawson
11-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Cousindave, I think you'll find that if you can provide some more info - what sounds you hear, what is engaging and what is not, what lights are on the dash, voltages, etc... then you may get some more responses.

Right now, I'm not sure there is enough to go off of.

mongoswede
11-18-2010, 06:38 AM
She starts perfectly. I'll drive her until she is nice and warm. I shut her down, try to restart and nothing . No cranking at all... If she sits for five minutes she'll restart perfectly.

Sounds to me like its a temperature related issue. You might make up some new heavy duty cables between the battery and starter solenoid, and between the solenoid and starter. clean all your contacts. If the starter won't go, give it a tap with a hammer and then see if it goes. If so...then the brushes may be sticking.

lrdukdog
11-18-2010, 07:24 AM
If the starter turns, then I would look at vapor lock.
Jim Wolf

mongoswede
11-18-2010, 07:59 AM
She starts perfectly. I'll drive her until she is nice and warm. I shut her down, try to restart and nothing . No cranking at all... If she sits for five minutes she'll restart perfectly..

fred98050
11-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Had a similar issue with my 88 and original starter a few month ago. Turn out that the solenoid was erratic.... Replaced it and has been working fine ever since.

As suggested in the previous post, check voltage at the solenoid when the starter does not crank. If voltage ok then at last you know that the solenoid is fine.