PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust splatter

Cutter
11-17-2010, 12:37 AM
So this isn't the biggest deal, I know its an old truck, but I'm slowly painting the wall of my house with my exhaust. I have to back out of my garage which is opposite the house, and need to make a few maneuvers to get out with the rover. When I back against the house, the exhaust does this. My wife is not so psyched. Should mention I have to get this close to get out of the garage, life in the city.

The truck runs fine, assuming the mixture is ok. I tried to lean it out to see if it would lessen the blast, but didn't make much difference. Maybe I should just put a 90 degree bend on the end of the exhaust...

http://www.kaijustudios.com/cutter/splatter.jpg

I should take a less zoomed in photo, hard to get an idea of scale and the multitude of splatters

alaskajosh
11-17-2010, 01:29 AM
I see the problem with your wall and it's not the exhaust splatter!

I wish I knew about the splatter.. I see it too when I start up in the snow.

Jim-ME
11-17-2010, 04:56 AM
My diesel will spit wet carbon when it first starts up. I've always thought it was condensation in the exhaust system which accumulates as it cools down. My other thought is that you are running rich because you have to set the choke when your engine is cold. Try letting your Rover warm up before you pull out of the garage and see if that helps.
Jim

Terrys
11-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Paint the first three feet of the wall black

Cutter
11-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I see the problem with your wall and it's not the exhaust splatter!

I wish I knew about the splatter.. I see it too when I start up in the snow.

I am assuming you are referring to the color- bad photo, thankfully.

Jim, I do have to use the choke in the cold, and I should let it warm up more before I pull out. That would probably help considerably, but it does this year round, choked or not. I am thinking it just is at it is.

Terrys, I was thinking of planting some shrubs but I'm not certain they'll last too long... Could do a blast shield like they have at the end of runways. The painting seems to be taking care of itself.

amcordo
11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Looks like you're not the only one that has a mad wife:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85291
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-383927.html
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-250573.html
http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/messages/51875/35035.html

After reading through these the consensus is that it is nothing to worry about. Just a natural buildup of carbon mixing with the condensation from your cold-started engine. It is possible that you're running just a bit rich.

Funny that a bunch of those responses were more concerned about the angry wife than the car...

And I've no room to say what I'm about to say, but I can't be the only person wondering: is that pink?

Cutter
11-17-2010, 12:24 PM
And I've no room to say what I'm about to say, but I can't be the only person wondering: is that pink?

No happy to say not a pink house! It is red, just my iphone did some magic and made it pink. It was late when I posted so I didn't bother to adjust. If you don't believe me...http://kaijustudios.com/cutter/toad_9_18_10_a.jpg

Maybe I'll make an exhaust flapper like on a diesel rig and use it to divert the spray down.

amcordo
11-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Maybe go to a muffler shop and get them to weld on a small extension that points downwards? Still will have the same problem with stains on the ground though. I haven't looked, maybe there's some sort of system out there for cleaning out old deposits in your exhaust without replacing it. Like seafoam, but for the exhaust system.

amcordo
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Oh crap - gotta hijack this thread real quick..

What happened to the dude with the barbie series rover? I remember only seeing one post from him.

Cutter
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Maybe go to a muffler shop and get them to weld on a small extension that points downwards? Still will have the same problem with stains on the ground though.

The rover already leaves plenty of stains on the ground, that is one thing I know isn't going to change...

I don't know if I want to see whatever the barbie rover is. Yeah I do actually

Terrys
11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Are you running an old Zenith Carb? It may have a warped bowl section, casuing the fuel level to run high, and over fueling. As much as I think the Weber 34 ICH is a compromise, it does cure the Zenith problems easily, and fairly inexpensively. The drawback to it is that it has a 34mm throat compared to the 36mm throat of the Zenith. Keep in mind that overfueling when cold means you may be "washing" the cylinder walls (and rings) of deposits which maintain compression.
You could go to any Midas and ask them for a short elbow that will slip over the side exiting pipe to direct the exhaust rearward. Or, I spose you could park backwards so the exhaust is not directed towards the building.

bkreutz
11-17-2010, 06:47 PM
I was getting the same "decoration" on the wall of the shop next to where I park, I thumb tacked a piece of white cardboard there, when it gets looking particularly nasty, I just change it. (kinda like a diaper:eek:)

Cutter
11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Are you running an old Zenith Carb? It may have a warped bowl section, casuing the fuel level to run high, and over fueling. As much as I think the Weber 34 ICH is a compromise, it does cure the Zenith problems easily, and fairly inexpensively. The drawback to it is that it has a 34mm throat compared to the 36mm throat of the Zenith. Keep in mind that overfueling when cold means you may be "washing" the cylinder walls (and rings) of deposits which maintain compression.
You could go to any Midas and ask them for a short elbow that will slip over the side exiting pipe to direct the exhaust rearward. Or, I spose you could park backwards so the exhaust is not directed towards the building.

I've got a 2.6 so a stromberg carb, from reading all the links that amcordo posted it seems like a cold start, condensation and soot thing. Probably will do the elbow thing or a flapper as it seems the simplest solution- pretty sure autozone down the street has elbow parts.

Backing in to my garage would be a challenge with the grade and corner I have to make, and there are shiny italian things in there I really don't want to bump (or spray with soot!).

disco2hse
11-17-2010, 08:11 PM
OK so others have all said what I thought, except that I think your iPhone is trying to tell you something. :o

But yeah. Pretty standard for a cold engine. It's not a good idea to warm a cold engine by idling it for a long period, not too good for local smog levels either. So you could: get more adept at positioning so the coverage is more even, paint the wall (which the previous would achieve anyway), stick a valuable plant in there so the missus won't be complaining about the paint on the stains (I mean the stains on the paint) anymore, or screw a piece of plywood to the wall.

I do think a flapper would lose its charm pretty quick. I had a similar issue and my house is off-white. I got Midas to put a twisted end on the exhaust that directed the flow down. Now the plants and pavers catch all the crud.