PDA

View Full Version : restoring series 88 rear tub

wetzj4634
11-17-2010, 07:18 PM
I just picked up a series 88 rear tub and I need to replace the floor on it as well as the rusted out braces. Any advice on how to do this (especially with pictures) would be a great help. Any tips on what to or what not to do would be great too!

Also, does anyone know where to purchase replacement braces? Does anyone make aluminum braces or are they all galvanized?

SafeAirOne
11-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I just picked up a series 88 rear tub and I need to replace the floor on it as well as the rusted out braces. Also, does anyone know where to purchase replacement braces? Does anyone make aluminum braces or are they all galvanized?

If you're referring to the MUC8949 crossmembers, our hosts can get them for about $50 each IIRC. I checked a month or 2 ago. They should be galvanized steel.

I don't know if the spot welds (if any) failed on my tub, but along the sides, the floor seemed to be mostly held in by the fasteners holding the crossmembers to the bottom of the tub. Not sure about the front and rear edges.

KevinNY
11-17-2010, 07:44 PM
The braces are galvanized steel. To replace the floor you need to get the tool to drill out the spot welds.