PDA

View Full Version : Compression fitting for oil pump?

Burlsube
11-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Old leaky decided to spring a leak from the oil pressure sender pipe right above oil filter. It looks like I need a new compression fitting for the small copper pipe that goes from the gauge to the oil pump. Any idea what size I'm looking for? I couldn't find it on our hosts site and I would like to source locally.

Burlsube
11-20-2010, 03:08 PM
part in question

siiirhd88
11-20-2010, 07:03 PM
This looks like a standard plumbing fitting, and not a factory part. The factory oil pressure lines on Series trucks was much larger in size and was an armored, flexible line with flare type fittings on the ends that attached to banjo fittings at the oil filter housing.

On your fitting it looks like the threads are 1/8" NPT, and replacement bits should be available at a good hardware or auto parts store. A 1/8" diameter copper tube is usually used to supply the oil pressure gauge with this fitting, but plastic tubing is also used. Note that the copper tube will work harden with movement and will become brittle. If you have the copper line connected directly to the fitting on the engine, it will flex as the engine moves which can cause the line to break near the fitting. You can add a few pigtail curls to the tubing to act like a spring near the fitting, which will help. If using the copper tubing to supply a mechanical gauge, I now mount the fitting to the inside of the wing and use a flexible tube from a grease gun to span the distance from the engine to the fitting. The grease gun tube is cheap, is flexible, has the same 1/8" NPT threads, and is rated for a much higher pressure than your lube oil pressure.

HTH,
Bob

'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

Burlsube
11-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Maybe the small diameter (1/8) line is the reason for my above average oil pressure?

siiirhd88
11-20-2010, 10:23 PM
The small size of the oil pressure line shouldn't make any difference in the pressure sensed by the gauge.

Bob

83lee
11-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I now mount the fitting to the inside of the wing and use a flexible tube from a grease gun to span the distance from the engine to the fitting.

Sure like to see a picture of that if it's convenient.