PDA

View Full Version : donor's frame

kwd509
11-20-2010, 07:35 PM
My project is in it's infancy, I'm still working on getting space and cover out of the coming Vermont winter. I may have to hunker down for this winter, but I've been playing with all sorts of rusty bolts when I have a moment.

I didn't buy the donor for the frame.

I know I need the bumper from my donor and on taking it saw the frame is compromised. The front of the frame is rusint and open......
I'd previously been away that the rear member is going/gone.

Prior to today I had hoped to interest a friend who has had a series for years, unregistered, but constant farm truck. He will need a frame at some point. I'm no longer sure I should think of the frame as a favor to a friend.....

Here are front and rear soft spots. There could be more surprises.
Am I doing my friend any favors?

Terrys
11-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Front frame horns (dumbirons) and the rear crossmember are easily replaced, but chances are good if they are bad, so are the bulkhead outriggers. These are even easier to replace, but the parts costs start adding up.

I Leak Oil
11-21-2010, 07:15 AM
You can't really tell just by looking at a couple spots but you really need to get under it and start inspecting (with a hammer and a screwdriver) it well. If your friend is expecting to patch the couple spots in the photos and slap it under a truck to drive away, he may not be your friend for long.....
If he knows what he might be getting into and the price is right, you might still have an extra set of hands to fix your transmission in the future!:D

If it were me, I'd ask my friend to do the inspection to make sure it's what he wants.....

kwd509
11-21-2010, 08:38 AM
If he knows what he might be getting into and the price is right, you might still have an extra set of hands to fix your transmission in the future!:D

If it were me, I'd ask my friend to do the inspection to make sure it's what he wants.....

Since his frame has been patched many, many times, this is still better than what he has.

I had been planning to offer it for $500, but I see that price may be too high. Perhaps the cost should be simply the extra hands in disassembling the donor so the frame is ready to go...... that would be a deal for him and still provide me with considerable assistance in getting parts ready for my project.

mongoswede
11-22-2010, 07:11 AM
When dealing with rusty old frames it doesn't take long before a new galvanized steel chassis for $1800 makes a lot more sense. We repaired my frame on my 73 that is going back together and while I only spent about $500 for the welding work a friend did, I personally had many many hours of prep, rust and scale removal, painting and sealing etc. In retrospect I think the galvanized route would have been wiser. Bigger hit to the wallet up front but adds a ton of value to any truck and its all ready to go.

LaneRover
11-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Since his frame has been patched many, many times, this is still better than what he has.

I had been planning to offer it for $500, but I see that price may be too high. Perhaps the cost should be simply the extra hands in disassembling the donor so the frame is ready to go...... that would be a deal for him and still provide me with considerable assistance in getting parts ready for my project.

I would say, let him take a look and since he is a friend count it as payment for an extra set of hands. IF the rest of the chassis is completely solid I would still say let him get it cheaper than $500 especially if he is willing to help you work on your Rover.

kwd509
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I would say, let him take a look and since he is a friend count it as payment for an extra set of hands. IF the rest of the chassis is completely solid I would still say let him get it cheaper than $500 especially if he is willing to help you work on your Rover.

Yes, his knowledge and assistance is payment plenty- if the frame is worth anything.....