PDA

View Full Version : IIa diesel pickup?

CCRLRH
11-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Been lurking a while and looking for a Series Rover for my next project...currently on the home stretch of a '79 Jeep CJ-5 frame-off, that's heading to my parents camp when it's done and I'm itching to plan ahead.

Have been watching Craigslist and found this, probably would get beat if I brought anything home before the CJ is out of the garage, but I've never seen a diesel pickup IIa and wondered if anybody knew about them. Would really like a pickup project, could even get enough use out of it around the house to get away with keeping it a while!

I've read of the typical Series body problem areas, curious if the pickup is any better or worse? Also don't know anything about the diesel, was that a factory option, how and what are they? And do the pickups have heavier drivetrains than the typical passenger Series?

Here's the listing on CL that I found, that sparked the inquiry:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/2033296350.html

Any comments appreciated!
Chris

czenkov
11-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Rust issues will be the same as well as bi-metal corrosion. Bulkhead, front floor panels, frame, door frames, etc. Ask for a lot of pictures. The pickup is very cool. Not sure about the diesel being factory. 2.25 or 2.5? Good luck.

kevin-ct
11-21-2010, 04:39 PM
chris,

I have looked at this truck and have taking photos of it.
If you would like to talk, pm me and i'll give you my number so I can go over it with you.

disco2hse
11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Not sure about the diesel being factory. 2.25 or 2.5? Good luck.

Quite possible:

rfEnvzHY9Es

However it is more likely to be a conversion. The rover diesel was not very good but Perkins et al were.

SafeAirOne
11-21-2010, 09:03 PM
The pickup is exactly the same as a regular (3-door) 109 except the roof is different. You can change a pickup into a regular 109 simply by unscrewing/inbolting the pickup cab and bolting on the full-length roof. The chassis is precisely the same in either configuration, obviously.

The station wagon (5-door) chassis is mostly the same as a regular (3-door) except that the 5-door tub (everything behind the driver's door) mounts and rests on the chassis slightly differently and has a rear fuel tank. So, the only real difference in between the two chassis are the forward mounting tabs for the tub and the height/location of the tub supports. Otherwise, they're pretty much identical.

As for the diesel engine, Rovers of that vintage would have the 2.25 diesel unless, as others have stated, another (more modern) one was fitted. In the advert, the transmission and transfer case are pictured lying on the ground, so who knows if it even has an engine hanging in it (well, except Kevin, who has seen it in person).

SafeAirOne
11-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Quite possible... ...The rover diesel was not very good but Perkins et al were.

I like the part of the video where the Series I pulls up towing a 2-stall horse trailer with it's mighty 2.0 liter diesel. Nice of them to show it on the flattest ground in all of the UK--it wouldn't have made it if there was the slightest hint of a rise in the terrain, I'm sure! :D

disco2hse
11-21-2010, 09:27 PM
I like the part of the video where the Series I pulls up towing a 2-stall horse trailer with it's mighty 2.0 liter diesel. Nice of them to show it on the flattest ground in all of the UK--it wouldn't have made it if there was the slightest hint of a rise in the terrain, I'm sure! :D

Wellll actually, there is a bit of video showing one as a recovery vehicle for double decker buses. :D And it's pulling uphill to boot.

LaneRover
11-22-2010, 06:30 AM

All they mention is that it can tow a 2-stall horse trailer - no mention of a 'Full' 2 stall horse trailer.

SafeAirOne
11-22-2010, 07:32 AM
All they mention is that it can tow a 2-stall horse trailer - no mention of a 'Full' 2 stall horse trailer.

Good point-They only removed ONE horse in the vid. :)

LaneRover
11-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Good point-They only removed ONE horse in the vid. :)

and there was a 'cut' in filming. That trailer could have been empty pulling up, how often do you see someone riding inside the trailer with a horse?