PDA

View Full Version : striped brake line threads on drum

jpetropoulos
11-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Replacing brake lines on my '72 88" series III.

I managed to strip the female threads on the rear drums where the lines enter the drum. I imagine that this just means a new wheel cylinders?

Any advice on things that I am sure to run into along the way so I can bite the bullet and order the right stuff all at one time instead of paying for shipping one part at a time.

SafeAirOne
11-21-2010, 07:25 PM
It should be just a simple wheel cylinder replacement. Presuming the hardware that retains the cylinder comes off OK, you shouldn't need to pre-order anything else. Make sure the new cylinder includes a bleeder. If not, you should probably get a new one while you're at it.

LaneRover
11-21-2010, 07:27 PM
How do the lines look? Are you working on the brakes at the other wheels? Maybe take everything apart that you re planning to (brake wise that is) and then figure out what you need to order.

Brent

jpetropoulos
11-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Brent you are probably right.
I have the entire line kit right up to and including a new master cylinder. Just thinking about what will be wrong inside the drums. I guess it is just a matter of waiting for the impact driver to arrive and to take the thing apart and get a good look at the whole project.

Safe Air thanks for the caution on the bleeder

Tsmith
11-22-2010, 08:52 PM
The wheel cylinder threads can be fixed with a helicoil. The threaded section does not provide the seal. No reason to do this since the parts are available. Wheel cylinders for other cars I have are harder to come by.