PDA

View Full Version : Fume Curtain

Tsmith
11-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm looking at the fume curtain on our host's site, EX5265. It's unclear from the photo or description if there is a clear plastic window or just a canvas flap. Has any one used one? It seems like a good way to limit the heated volume.

Tom Smith

jac04
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Looks fairly clear on RN's site:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-17565-exmoor-trim-load-curtain-sand.aspx

73series88
11-22-2010, 06:22 PM
does that require a hoop to secure it
or is it possable to get it to stay on a regular hardtop?
aaron

Jim-ME
11-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Mine has a clear window in it. They are designed to go over the front hoop of a hoop set. I will post pictures later this week when I put mine in for the winter. I'm sure one could me made to fit a hard top but I'm not sure how I'd go about it.
Jim

siii8873
11-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I was thinking about this same thing. My thought was to alter a hoop, or bend some conduit to the inside contour of roof and attach it to the rib on the hard top to attach the curtain to. May be easier said than done.
Bob

73series88
11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
yeh thats what i was thinking
aaron

morgant
11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
I was thinking about this same thing. My thought was to alter a hoop, or bend some conduit to the inside contour of roof and attach it to the rib on the hard top to attach the curtain to. May be easier said than done.

The PO of my SIII put a couple sheet metal screws through some old canvas into the rib on the hard top as a very poor fume curtain. I like your idea of putting some conduit or something up to attach to (esp. since the holes are already there for me to re-use).

If I ever get it back on the road this winder (I better!), I'm sure I'll make this mod.

73series88
12-01-2010, 01:41 PM
ok so i bought the used 101 fume curtain our sponser had for sale and it really wasnt to much bigger.
the hoop wont fit under the hardtop and if you modified it you would either have to grind out the joining sections of the top and sides or shape the hoop to go around the same area.
so this is what im figuring
i have some hand spring clamps holding it in place right now.
and it really looks pretty good. im going to trim the sides to allow for the joining sections of the hardtop. then im going to get some lift the dots like the ones i had on the tonnuoe cover on my old mga and attach them to the front side of the hardtop rib. here are some rough pictures of what im thinking.
i was willing to experement with a 75 dollar used curtain.
aaron

moss motors sells the fasteners

73series88
12-05-2010, 04:12 PM
ok so
i installed most of the lift the dots for my fume curtain project
i actually bought out west marine.
gotta get 3 more but its working great.

folded along the top seam and it fit perfect
i do have to trim and hem the sides a bit but its going to great
drove around today and i was so nice in the truck.
just have to clean the window.
ill let you guys know when its done
aaron

yeh i pulled out he screen for the fresh air intake
i couldnt belive how restrictive that thing is
i have some wire mesh im going to put in there
but it really makes a big difference.

anyone use a radiator muff?

stomper
12-05-2010, 05:56 PM
there is a plastic polish by Miguire's called Plastix that you can buy at Target, or most auto stores. that will clean up the plastic window really well.

I used to use it on my plastic boat windows. it will take some elbow grease to get it clean, but it won't harm the clarity of the plastic when you are done.:thumb-up:

Great design by the way!

jac04
12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Just to give you guys some info on options:
Here is a really cool home-made fume curtain/cab isolator that came with my Lightweight. Made from plywood. The bottom half folds in half via a leather 'hinge'. Not really sure the purpose of the bottom half. The top half has a plexiglas window and small brackets that were used to attach it to the inside of a hardtop.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1810.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1812.jpg

stomper
12-06-2010, 06:17 AM
I love the oak wood trim around the window! Very ingenius.:thumb-up:

xsbowes
12-06-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd recommend putting some type of insulation and lightweight carpeting. EzCool by lubucrod (http://www.lobucrod.com/) is fairly thin. I'd also replace the oak trim with a rubber gasket. But of course if you don't have your door seals on then you will be freezing your @$$ off anyway. Would you be able to trace both pieces on to paper? I have a bunch of plywood in the rafters of my garage. P.M. me if you can.

On another note, has anyone used a heater from another vehicle in a lightweight?