PDA

View Full Version : New gas tank - lesson learned

NickDawson
11-23-2010, 07:13 AM
So...when you get a new sales tank, and there is that rubber cap over the large hole....
ah...
don't drop that rubber cap into the tank.

That is all.

crankin
11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Haha.

cousindave
11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Sounds like you're having cousindave kind of day!

RoverForm
11-23-2010, 10:34 AM
any insight on how to get it back?

also, can you describe the look on your face as soon as it dropped into the abyss?

NickDawson
11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
any insight on how to get it back?

also, can you describe the look on your face as soon as it dropped into the abyss?

Here's the plan:
Im going to take a 4 ft section of 1" wooden dowel and apply a liberal dab of 1 minute epoxy to the end and smush it on the the rubber cap. Once its dry, hopefully I can just pull it out. Plan B involves getting it close enough to hit it with a propane torch. Plan C involves plan B, only with me calling the fire department and then rovers north for a new tank.

Ask my wife about the look on my face after a challenging work day and a long business dinner. It was somewhere between disgust and defeat.

RoverForm
11-23-2010, 03:53 PM
so sorry. i think you'd be alright if you could get your hands on some forceps as long as your arm...

NickDawson
11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Woot! My dowel and epoxy method worked on the first try!
New tank is mounted and the Rover rides again! (but for some reason I didn't need 90% of the little trinkets that came in the tank replace kit from our hosts).

kwd509
11-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Woot! My dowel and epoxy method worked on the first try!
New tank is mounted and the Rover rides again! (but for some reason I didn't need 90% of the little trinkets that came in the tank replace kit from our hosts).

I'm trying to get a fix on the gas tank hardware issue too....... when I pulled the tank from my 64 diesel it was in good shape externally (inside will need treatment) but there was minimal hardware, five nuts and bolts with washers..... that's all- mounting it directly to the chassis.

What were the 90% you did not use? And what purpose are they purported to serve?

NickDawson
11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
five nuts and bolts with washers..... that's all- mounting it directly to the chassis.

What were the 90% you did not use? And what purpose are they purported to serve?

(mine had 6 bolts)

Thats just it, I dont know. Some brass plates, some large funky bolt (not the drain plug), some random screws (every screw I needed came already in the new tank)... a strange 1" x 3" L bracket... and two rubber grommets. I dont see any of that stuff in the green bible.

artpeck
11-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Did you have extra rubber grommets? Mine mounted with the rubber grommets on the mounting bolts in between the flanges.

And congratulations on the dowel and epoxy setup. I was skeptical but now that is another trick to tuck away for when needed.