PDA

View Full Version : Yeah. I'm addicted to Series.

amcordo
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I just replaced my little Chrysler Crossfire with a 2500HD Silverado so that I'd have something to tow the larger parts I need to get for my rover around. And tow it around when it breaks.

No joke. That's the reason I got it.

albersj51
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
I call that being practical!

My other cars are a Miata and a BMW...When "Bear" breaks I've got to call for a tow.

RoverForm
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
i was actually looking at a couple of mid-sixties pick up trucks for the exact same purpose.

then, after realizing i'd own three cars (one of which had the potential of becoming a trailer queen) i decided against it.

do you already own a trailer/tow dolly? or is that on your xmas list?

amcordo
11-23-2010, 07:28 PM
i was actually looking at a couple of mid-sixties pick up trucks for the exact same purpose.

then, after realizing i'd own three cars (one of which had the potential of becoming a trailer queen) i decided against it.

do you already own a trailer/tow dolly? or is that on your xmas list?

The bed is big enough for most of the parts needs. I figure it'll probably be cheaper just to rent a uhaul dolly whenever the rover dies.

Next on my list is get a house/garage to park all this crap at.

The most amusing part to me is that the huge truck gets better gas mileage than the Crossfire.

HybridIIA
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
You're cheating! You're supposed to use a Rover to tow home Rover projects and parts :D

RoverForm
11-23-2010, 08:16 PM
You're cheating! You're supposed to use a Rover to tow home Rover projects and parts :D
this is true actually. we all need to acquire a land rover "support vehicle" for our series. mogly has the right idea...

and get a load of that house/vehicle set-up! all you need to do now is increase both the height and width of that garage door and you're golden!!

*nevermind... rhode island. got it. cause that's looking cozy!

leafsprung
11-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Parts hauler:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/pnwtm/2001/reo_speedwagon_48_dave_whited.jpg

RoverForm
11-23-2010, 11:58 PM
i was thinking something a little more inconspicuous...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/land_rover/1671797.jpg

these things are dirt cheap out here. minus the bull bar and lighthouse beacons of course.

wait, is that an REO Speed Wagon?

Lalo88DK
11-24-2010, 01:31 AM
What is this need for towing your Land Rover around :D.
Over the last 21 years I've been into Land Rovers (mostly Series) I've only ones had the need of a tow truck, and that was a Range Rover 3,5 V8 :mad: with a broken electronic fuel pump.
Otherwise My Landies have always been able to make it home by it's own steam. :p
My Series Land Rovers were everyday runners, covering around 15000 miles a year.
The keyword is good maintenance, and treat it as it was intended, I never go over 55 mph, and thats with an overdrive or a Aschcroft high range Transferbox and 235/85-16 tyres.:)

jimsshuman
11-24-2010, 05:37 AM

Get a load of that winch on the front of the sII! :thumb-up:

amcordo
11-24-2010, 05:39 AM
What is this need for towing your Land Rover around :D.
Over the last 21 years I've been into Land Rovers (mostly Series) I've only ones had the need of a tow truck, and that was a Range Rover 3,5 V8 :mad: with a broken electronic fuel pump.
Otherwise My Landies have always been able to make it home by it's own steam. :p
My Series Land Rovers were everyday runners, covering around 15000 miles a year.
The keyword is good maintenance, and treat it as it was intended, I never go over 55 mph, and thats with an overdrive or a Aschcroft high range Transferbox and 235/85-16 tyres.:)

I've owned the thing for a little over a year and had a clutch MC go out on me twice, and a brake MC go out on me. Both things happened while I was out, and both times I limped home in afternoon rush hour traffic.

In both cases the truck limped home on its own, but for my own safety I'm going to disagree with you. It sure would have been nice to tow the thing instead of the crazy driving I had to do to to get home! :)

And in any case, this is all prep for a frame-off rebuild. I need something that can take the last few parts I've yet to galvanize to the zincery and can help me bring home whatever new engine I end up settling on.

amcordo
11-24-2010, 05:47 AM

Ha! Awesome! Baby steps for me, but I agree that eventually I want to be towing my series with another series.

msggunny
11-24-2010, 07:03 AM

Awesome 109.....

O, Amcordo. Im sure trying to drive 315 in that thing with either master out must be loads of fun, especially around the OSU exits around 330....

LR Max
11-24-2010, 08:14 AM
What engine is in your 2500HD?

I've used my dad's Yukon Denali to haul the 109 a few times. That Yukon just has the LQ4 in it. Not a diesel but it got the job done. Also considering my 109 needs towing once every 2 years, its fine.

leafsprung
11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
these things are dirt cheap out here. minus the bull bar and lighthouse beacons of course.

Problems with RR:

A) unreliable
B) incapable of hauling much in the way of parts
C) fru-fru interior (just set that salsbury on the leather)
D) unreliable

PS: yes its a 47 REO speedwagon. Hauls more than a rover can. Looks better doing it.

RoverForm
11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Problems with RR:

A) unreliable
B) incapable of hauling much in the way of parts
C) fru-fru interior (just set that salsbury on the leather)
D) unreliable

i know... i know...

but i could never validate buying/owning an REO speedwagon.

leafsprung
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
its easy to validate. Have something to haul? Get an REO.

amcordo
11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
What engine is in your 2500HD?

I've used my dad's Yukon Denali to haul the 109 a few times. That Yukon just has the LQ4 in it. Not a diesel but it got the job done. Also considering my 109 needs towing once every 2 years, its fine.

It's got the eight cylinder 6.0L Vortec 6000. I didn't jump for the diesel because the gas milage is about the same. Plus I'm more comfortable with doing basic/intermediate maintenance on a gasoline engine.

amcordo
11-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Awesome 109.....

O, Amcordo. Im sure trying to drive 315 in that thing with either master out must be loads of fun, especially around the OSU exits around 330....

It was terrible driving from just north of campus on Olentangy River Road all the way down to the Arena District (where the Ohio Penn. used to be). I hit every red light and drove the whole damned way in second gear.

... that's all right next to 315 though, so good call!

RoverForm
11-24-2010, 12:23 PM
its easy to validate. Have something to haul? Get an REO.
i'd have to haul something significant at least once a week to validate that kind of perchase. and since i don't, i can't.

and wouldn't they be difficult to come by nowadays?

*official thread hijack...

found something similar. http://www.antiquecar.com/index/listings/page27028.htm
Price $2,350.00
Make REO Model F22 Gold Comet
Year 1943

Lalo88DK
11-25-2010, 03:49 AM
In both cases the truck limped home on its own, but for my own safety I'm going to disagree with you. It sure would have been nice to tow the thing instead of the crazy driving I had to do to to get home! :)

I wouldn't have the courage to limp home if the brakes were not working :eek:.
But if you check the reservoirs daily (I do, engine oil, and coolant level too :)) you usually can tell, if there's a problem with either the Clutch cylinders or Brake cylinders before they give in completely. Another way to tell there is something wrong is, that there often will be small drips of fluid on the pedals/floor.
And remember don't use Britparts when it comes to Clutch and brake cylinders, because you then have to do it all over again, guess how I found out :o In Europe Britparts is often called Shi......

LaneRover
11-25-2010, 06:08 AM
In High School my Dad yelled at me for driving my Volkswagen when it required a pump to firm up the brakes, so I DEFINITELY didn't tell him when my brakes went out and I drove it like that for 2 weeks!

FYI - I tend not to do that now.

I did drive from LA to SD with no headlights at night and in the rain.

amcordo
11-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Duh.

Mine failed without any warning though. The clutch MC reservoir was full, and I had driven it an hour before with no issue. One minute I've got a clutch, the next I don't.

In any case, I wasn't trying to start a discussion about whether the truck is reliable over all. Just point out my dedication to it.

I wouldn't have the courage to limp home if the brakes were not working :eek:.
But if you check the reservoirs daily (I do, engine oil, and coolant level too :)) you usually can tell, if there's a problem with either the Clutch cylinders or Brake cylinders before they give in completely. Another way to tell there is something wrong is, that there often will be small drips of fluid on the pedals/floor.
And remember don't use Britparts when it comes to Clutch and brake cylinders, because you then have to do it all over again, guess how I found out :o In Europe Britparts is often called Shi......

amcordo
11-25-2010, 11:53 AM
In High School my Dad yelled at me for driving my Volkswagen when it required a pump to firm up the brakes, so I DEFINITELY didn't tell him when my brakes went out and I drove it like that for 2 weeks!

FYI - I tend not to do that now.

I did drive from LA to SD with no headlights at night and in the rain.

Ha. Don't tell your insurance company either!