PDA

View Full Version : Just can't find the Transmission fill plug.Help!

esquivelia
03-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey all,

I own a 71 series 2a 88. I just can't find where to check or fill the transmission and gearbox. I have the center seat "hatch" open and I don't see much and my Haynes manual is not much help. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Cory-:confused:

jac04
03-27-2007, 02:33 PM
There is a plug on the side (LH if I remember correctly)of the transmission, and there is a plug on the back side of the transfer case. You simply fill until the oil starts to come out of the fill hole.

singingcamel
03-27-2007, 02:56 PM
make sure you fill the tranny and not just the transfer case!!!!!
there are two places to fill one for the tranny and one for the transfer case.the tranny is on the left side,drivers side,half way up. the transfer case is a obvious.
you may have alot of gunk covering the plug. also get a manual:thumb-up:

www.singingcamel.com

esquivelia
03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the replies guys...one more thing...would it be best accesed from underneath or where? Also, you guys think it's on the side and not the top, correct?

Thanks again!! Cory-:D

yorker
03-27-2007, 03:43 PM
they are on the side- you pretty well need to do it from beneath.

singingcamel
03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
bottom is the best, get something with a pump, a lower unit refill kit for a outboard motor, it pumps by compressing the top down with your finger,(squirt bottle) you wont have it running down your arm this way.:rolleyes:

jac04
03-27-2007, 08:01 PM
... a lower unit refill kit for a outboard motor...
^^ Exactly what I use. It works great!

esquivelia
03-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Ahh! yes a lower unit refill kit would work well. I actually found it today and used a rubber hose. It took some fluid. I'll probably change it out at some point soon. Also my rear differential was totally dry so I filled that too, probably needs resealing. Thanks for all the help.:thumb-up: