• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fred98050
    1st Gear
    • Aug 2010

2.25 petrol problem....

109 s2 with 2.25 petrol:

Tonight I started to experience some engine trouble. It idles great, while driving it gets normal acceleration as long as I don't exceed a certain pressure on the accelerator pedal. If I push the accelerator pass that point the engine start to sputter and as soon as I release the pressure it returns to normal.

It's dark and really cold right now so I just looked at the clear fuel filter and sediment bowl. The filter is clear and there is a little bit of deposit in the sediment bowl.

The truck has an electronic ignition, new plugs, new coil and new wires. It seems to me that it is most likely a fuel delivery problem. The car is a weber single barrel.

Any recommendation as to where I should look first?

Thanks
    sigpic
    1964 88 S2A, petrol 2.25L.
    Weber 32/36 dvg
    Lucas distributor

2.5 Na Conversion:
    http://gallery.me.com/flangenard#100941

What I like the most about my Rovers? They've got more problems than I do...
  • dunerunner
    1st Gear
    • May 2008

Had the same problem with my Series II 109. The fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb was colgged up with gunk and the float bowl wouldn't fill properly causing fuel starvation beyond a specific RPM.

Good Luck!!
    '94 D-90, '59 SII 109 Regular

Comment

• fred98050
      1st Gear
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by dunerunner
      Had the same problem with my Series II 109. The fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb was colgged up with gunk and the float bowl wouldn't fill properly causing fuel starvation beyond a specific RPM.

Good Luck!!
      I'll start by looking at the fuel line and fuel filter in the carb as well.

Thanks
      sigpic
      Weber 32/36 dvg
      Lucas distributor

2.5 Na Conversion:

Comment

• fred98050
        1st Gear
        • Aug 2010

After cleaning up the fuel line I am still experiencing the same problem.
        Had a little bit of deposit in the lines from tank to pump but nothing from the pump to the carb.

What would be the symptoms on a failing fuel pump?

What would be the symptoms of a failing coil?

When the engine is cold it works just fine, the problem occurs after 5 to 6 miles down the road...

Frederic
        sigpic
        Weber 32/36 dvg
        Lucas distributor

2.5 Na Conversion:

Comment

• dunerunner
          1st Gear
          • May 2008

Could be the fuel pump, if it is engine RPM related, check the points, if not I would still go back to fuel.

Again, if you can run at 3K in 2nd and not in 4th, then it is most likely fuel.

Good Luck!
          '94 D-90, '59 SII 109 Regular

Comment

• fred98050
            1st Gear
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by dunerunner
            Could be the fuel pump, if it is engine RPM related, check the points, if not I would still go back to fuel.

Again, if you can run at 3K in 2nd and not in 4th, then it is most likely fuel.

Good Luck!
            The truck has electronic ignition. My understanding is that it either works or not at all. Correct?

It is pretty much as you describe it, 3000 RPM in 2nd , no problem and 3000 RPM in 4th or 3rd and it sputters....

Do you see any explanation as to why it would take a few miles to sputter if it is the pump? I can't see why it would be different with a cold or warm engine.
            Fuel pump is entirely mechanical, right?

I will check the lines again tomorrow and clean the jets in the carb.

Thanks
            sigpic
            Weber 32/36 dvg
            Lucas distributor

2.5 Na Conversion:

Comment

• NickDawson
              5th Gear
              • Apr 2009

Do you have a set of points you can put back in for testing?

Also, does your dizzy have a vacuum advance? If so, can you test it? Maybe put a short section of hose on it and apply some manual suction, see if the RPMs go up.

Think you're getting some good advice here - check the pump too. I understand its pretty simple to swap in a cheapo napa or advanced electronic pump, might be worth the troubleshooting.

In my limited understanding of ignitions (and all things mechanical), I think if the coil were failing it would not run well at all. At least that was the case with my bad coil - I was able to confirm by checking the voltage on the low tension lead - should be 12v.

Comment

• fred98050
                1st Gear
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by NickDawson
                Do you have a set of points you can put back in for testing?

Also, does your dizzy have a vacuum advance? If so, can you test it? Maybe put a short section of hose on it and apply some manual suction, see if the RPMs go up.
                I have a set of points I can use.

Good point. I'll try that the vacuum.

Think you're getting some good advice here - check the pump too. I understand its pretty simple to swap in a cheapo napa or advanced electronic pump, might be worth the troubleshooting.
                Do you mean that I should add an electrical fuel pump? Should I wire the pump to run when ignition "ON" or switch activated?

In my limited understanding of ignitions (and all things mechanical), I think if the coil were failing it would not run well at all. At least that was the case with my bad coil - I was able to confirm by checking the voltage on the low tension lead - should be 12v.
                The idle is near perfect but I'll check the voltage anyway.

That's what I love about my Rovers, they have more problems than I have....

Thanks
                sigpic
                Weber 32/36 dvg
                Lucas distributor

2.5 Na Conversion:

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                  Overdrive
                  • Apr 2008

Interesting that it only happens when the engine is warmed up...

If you've thoroughly checked all the ignition system components, then I might check to see that the choke is functioning correctly, including fully disengaging when the choke lever is almost all the way in (you want to run out of travel on the carb slightly before you run out of travel on the knob).

Choking a warm engine will have a similar effect as you describe--I know this because I was almost run over by a fast-moving garbage truck while trying to zip across a major road with my choke out a long time ago...

If not for the issue being intermittent and related to engine temp, my second guess would have been to check for a bad accelerator pump in the carb--It squirts gas into the carb when the gas pedal is depressed, allowing the engine to rev up until the vacuum in the venturi is strong enough to draw enough fuel out though the normal method.
                  --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                  (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• s3landy
                    Low Range
                    • Jun 2008

With the engine off, pump the throttle linkage and look for a shot of fuel from the carb. When cold, the choke will give extra fuel but when warm, the accelerator pump should do the job unless only moving the linkage slowly. Worth a shot.

Mike

Comment

• Terrys
                      Overdrive
                      • May 2007

The accelerator jet is very small, but if it's plugged, you'd experience a strong hesitation when you step on the gas, but not 'sputtering' Easy enough to check; take the air cleaner horn off the top of the carb and see if you get a little shot of gas from the accelerator jet (small arm that sticks out from the side of the body.) If not, remove the screws, lift the top of the carb up and lay to the side, pull the jet straight up with needle nosed pliers. It's held in place by a small 'O' ring. Use a tiny wire, such as gas torch cleaning tip.
                      Don't rule out a faulty condensor. Also, check that your points are gapped correctly, and that the spring arm has sufficient tension, to prevent them from 'floating' at higher RPMs. Is there any play in the distributor shaft? This can yield all sorts of running issues.

Comment

• LaneRover
                        Overdrive
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by SafeAirOne
                        Interesting that it only happens when the engine is warmed up...

If you've thoroughly checked all the ignition system components, then I might check to see that the choke is functioning correctly, including fully disengaging when the choke lever is almost all the way in (you want to run out of travel on the carb slightly before you run out of travel on the knob).

Choking a warm engine will have a similar effect as you describe--I know this because I was almost run over by a fast-moving garbage truck while trying to zip across a major road with my choke out a long time ago...
                        I agree on checking to make sure the choke is turning 'off' all the way too.
                        1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                        1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                        1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                        1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• NickDawson
                          5th Gear
                          • Apr 2009

Nothing new to add, just noting the ah-ha moment I had when reading the suggestions of others regarding the choke and jets.
                          I'm so conditioned that "its never the carb" but what is being posited makes good sense. Could easily be a jet and/or stuck choke. Clipped this thread for my file of Rover troubleshooting tips

Comment

• fred98050
                            1st Gear
                            • Aug 2010

Update 2 , no joy...

So, Today:

- Cleaned all the fuel lines (again) > No surprises
                            - Cleaned the carb fuel filter. > No surprises
                            - Cleaned the carb jets. > did not see anything obvious
                            - Sediment bowl inspected > All clean
                            - replaced secondary fuel filter for good measure.
                            - Inspected and adjusted the choke cable a bit.
                            - Adjusted the mixture and Idle speed.

Started the truck, choke on, warmed up a bit then Choke off, Idle very well +/- 700 RPM.

Took the truck for a ride, worked great for 10 minutes then the dreaded "sputter" came back...

I took a video of the sputter and also checked the fuel flow of my 88 2.25 petrol compare to the 109 2.25 petrol. It's day and night, the fuel trickles, at best in the 109. (See videos.)

Looks like fuel pump might be on its way out. What do you think?

Thanks

Sputter

Fuel flow 109:

Fuel flow 88:

sigpic
                            Weber 32/36 dvg
                            Lucas distributor

2.5 Na Conversion:

Comment

• NickDawson
                              5th Gear
                              • Apr 2009

Mobile phones with cameras and the web may be the new best tool in Land Rover repair!
                              I have not done it, but understand the electric pump replacement is fairly easy. Bmohan55 has a thread on it somewhere... my forum search skills are weak tonight.

Comment

Working...