PDA

View Full Version : starter solenoid

cousindave
11-26-2010, 04:34 PM
So, i drove her about 10 miles park her with the biggest grin you have ever seen. Thanksgiving night my friend, who showed the enthusiasm of a five year old in a toy store, wanted a ride. I went to start her and nothing. I throw the charger on the battery overnight. Hooked up battery, positive first as soon as the negative cable touched the neg post the landy began to crank with thkeyin the off position. I just replaced the ignition switch and solenoid. The ignition switch is landrover item, but the solenoid is a universal solenoid from advance auto. Any ideas?

fred98050
11-26-2010, 05:12 PM
-Bad solenoid
-Starter cable connected to the wrong side of solenoid
-or + wire connected to wrong side.
-Ignition switch faulty

If you have a voltmeter it should be pretty easy to access and trouble -shoot

NickDawson
11-26-2010, 06:21 PM
-Bad solenoid
-Starter cable connected to the wrong side of solenoid
-or + wire connected to wrong side.
-Ignition switch faulty

If you have a voltmeter it should be pretty easy to access and trouble -shoot

2nd all of those - easy to hook the cable to wrong post of the starter, but you'd know that when you did it.
My guess is the switch.

cousindave
11-26-2010, 06:40 PM
What i don't get is that the switch is brand new out of the box

SafeAirOne
11-26-2010, 10:03 PM
What i don't get is that the switch is brand new out of the box

Which series rover do you have?

Some SIII starter switches are particularly rubbish. Mine failed 4 years after being installed. Not really an industrial-grade part...

Also, I'd double check that the leads are all correctly installed on the ignition switch. I believe that there are wiring errors that could produce these symptoms.

If you have a SIII, it can be fairly difficult to access the starter switch plug the leads in. Some of the terminals are double terminals (2 contacts going to the same part of the switch) so you've got to be pretty vigilant putting the leads on.

Not really sure about anything pre-SIII...