PDA

View Full Version : LAND ROVER 109" SERIES II A

medman0101
11-26-2010, 05:50 PM
WE have this 1971 Land Rover 109" Series IIA in South America Ecuador. The Gaskets are bad and the cylinders rings are bad. I think this engine had work done. Am I better off replacing the engine and if yes wich one. I seen in the forum that some one had used a chevy 250. What work is required to replace the engine?

Cutter
11-26-2010, 08:25 PM
WE have this 1971 Land Rover 109" Series IIA in South America Ecuador. The Gaskets are bad and the cylinders rings are bad. I think this engine had work done. Am I better off replacing the engine and if yes wich one. I seen in the forum that some one had used a chevy 250. What work is required to replace the engine?

That is a 2.6 inline 6 cylinder engine, almost everyone on here will tell you to scrap it and get _anything_ else. They are difficult to get parts for compared to the 2.25, but provide a bit more power. To change to the chevy you'll need a Scotty's adaptor to mount to the bell housing. TeriAnn has information on her site about engine conversions. There is a bit more room in the engine compartment which helps fit in a larger engine. I'm sure there are a few with first hand experience who will reply.

If you do end up replacing the engine, I am trying to keep my 2.6 running- I need a manifold and a distributor in particular, but I'd be interested in pretty much everything from you apart from the block for spares.

ducttape
11-27-2010, 09:27 AM
This may be one of my favorite pictures ever from this board!

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4242&d=1290815650