PDA

View Full Version : Add a "flasher" dash light to a 69

mrdoiron
11-26-2010, 08:32 PM
I find going from vehicle to vehicle, I often forget to turn off the turn signal on the Ser II (ser III has a dash light indicator), so several streets later I realize the blinker is still on... less annoying for me than others on the road I'm sure.

Anyone know of a quick and clever way to add a dash light ?

thanks, mike

SafeAirOne
11-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Run a wire from the the green/white wire (coming from the flasher switch) to the (+) side if a 12v LED or incandescent lamp, then from the (-) side of the LED or incandescent lamp to ground for the left turn signal dash light.

Do the same with the green/red wire for the right.

Terrys
11-27-2010, 06:17 AM
or you could use the third terminal of a three prong flasher unit, that's what it is for.

SafeAirOne
11-27-2010, 07:13 AM
or you could use the third terminal of a three prong flasher unit, that's what it is for.

Interesting....!

mrdoiron
11-27-2010, 08:15 AM

great - appreciate the solutions.

Terry - on the 3 prong flasher solution, I assume the existing one doesn't have a 3rd prong (need to check) , so this means replacing the existing one, and run a light from the 3rd term to the dash ?

cheers, mike

ducttape
11-27-2010, 09:24 AM
as a slight sidebar, is there an equally simple solution for an emergency flasher setup?

Jim-ME
11-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Try Rocky Mountain Products. They have a kit that includes 4 way flashers and a 12V socket mounted in a panel. IIRC it's about $60.
Jim

Jim-ME
11-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Sorry about that I misread the original post.
Jim

mrdoiron
11-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Run a wire from the the green/white wire (coming from the flasher switch) to the (+) side if a 12v LED or incandescent lamp, then from the (-) side of the LED or incandescent lamp to ground for the left turn signal dash light.

Do the same with the green/red wire for the right.

thanks, I went this route and works fine (into the hazard light).

cheers, mike

Terrys
11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
great - appreciate the solutions.

Terry - on the 3 prong flasher solution, I assume the existing one doesn't have a 3rd prong (need to check) , so this means replacing the existing one, and run a light from the 3rd term to the dash ?

cheers, mike
Without digging out schematics, I (don't have a 2A at the moment) recall that the 2A uses a 3 prong flasher, the 'I' terminal feeds the light in the turn signal unit. The S3 is much simpler; power goes to a 2-terminal flasher, then to the stalk, which selects the side of choice, the indicator being tied to the same line as the F&R blinkers.
The self cancelling unit supplied on 2As is rebuildable to a point. Someone had new rubber wheels too. Signal Stat makes a unit similar in appearance, but is not self cancelling, but does have a hazard flasher switch included. It's necessary to use the specific 3-prong flasher they list as it will trigger the indicator light, whereas a regular one will not.
This is just trivia if you've got it wired up already.

edit: Ike has the new wheels for the original turn signal units

Enigma
11-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Rather than a dash light, I got 2 red led lamps with a threaded housing (about 1/4 in Diameter) and mounted them at the top left and right corners of the defroster housing over the windshield motor. I connected them with fine speaker wire to the harness for the signals by the radiator. Easy to see
from my driving position.