PDA

View Full Version : Series III Dash Repair Or Replacement

artpeck
11-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I know this doesn't apply to those in the all metal set but for those S3 owners out there I have a question about dash repair.

The top pad is cracked and in other places the vinyl is ready to fall off. Not a big deal but cosmetically annoying as I restore other parts of the truck. Our host lists the dash pad as NLA. I am curious if anyone has ideas on a source for a replacement or repair alternatives. I did find one shop in southern CA that specializes in this for vintage restorations but if anyone else has ideas they would be much appreciated. Thanks as always.

siiirhd88
11-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I covered my old cracking upper dash pad with new vinyl. I cut off the jagged edges of the old vinyl, and filled all of the gouges with spray foam. I cut the spray foam flush with the existing dash and covered the old vinyl with a thin layer of batting. I stretched the new vinyl over the old dash, and secured the one edge with the original half moon clips that I had removed previously. The other edge I glued down. I used spray glue to secure the batting to the old vinyl, and the new vinyl to the batting.

This is a pic of the covered dash. Not the best pic, sorry.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/109%20SIII/Defdash2.jpg

Bob

'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

Walker
11-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I pulled my old dash pad off and took it to a local upholstry shop. They replaced the old cover/padding and used an industrial grade adhesive. I live in the San Joaquin Valley of Calif (105 degrees/28 degrees) and the rig stays outside. 5 years ago and no cracks, pulling, ripples, etc. Cost was about $225. Well worth it to avoid the repeated agravation I am known for.:D

Art

artpeck
11-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Really helpful. Thanks. I am a little reluctant to tackle this myself as I can't even adequately wrap a Christmas present. The picture looks great and I hadn't even thought of the upholstery shop idea. Worth investigating. May I ask where you are in the valley? I am in the SF area.

Firemanshort
11-27-2010, 05:34 PM
I just saw an advertisement on the Bring-A-Trailer website for Just-Dashes

http://justdashes.com/Map.htm

They are located in Sunny California. They do custom restoriations.

I recommend you send you dash there and they report back to us on how it comes out. Mine has a few small cracks now - and will likely need life support in a few years.

artpeck
11-27-2010, 06:12 PM
That is the place I found in so cal. I will call them and report anything relevant I find out.

jac04
11-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Just Dashes is very expensive and they tend to take a little "artistic liberty" with most dashes. I have researched them for possibly restoring a dash pad for my 68 Camaro. For a SIII, I suggest the methods that others have suggested or bring it to a local upholstery shop who will essentially re-skin the dash pad.

leafsprung
11-27-2010, 07:42 PM
may be some NOS dashes available soon

siiirhd88
11-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Im no upholstery guy, but the recover of the upper dash pad is a pretty simple job. There are no complex curves, like on the lower dash, and it is basically a wrap and glue repair. Once the dash pad was off of the truck, the entire job was completed in only a few hours and cost under $40.00.

Jeez, if your upper pad is already bad, why not just try to fix it yourself? If you do mess it up too badly, maybe Ike can find you a NOS one! :)

Bob

artpeck
11-28-2010, 09:08 AM
I may try to. Was simply trying to understand alternatives and alternative approaches to the repair. Thanks for the info.

Walker
11-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Art - I am in the Fresno area. The shop I used is very reasonable and make a quality product Without artistic license.:thumb-up:

Also Art