PDA

View Full Version : New LR owner

rickv100
11-28-2010, 04:22 PM
I just picked up my first Land Rover, it is a S3 109 that Ducttape had for sale in the classifieds.

What should be my first purchases besides the Green Bible?

Rick

siii8873
11-28-2010, 04:53 PM
AAA membership, Ha Ha

stonefox
11-28-2010, 05:04 PM
A good divorce lawyer :D
Welcome to the self help group Rick. Have fun with your rig.

stomper
11-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Just off the top of my head here, I don't know the condition of your truck, but I would look into a 5 gallon drum of EP90 gear oil, a new set of points, rotor button and distributor cap, and condensor to have on hand, a radiator muff if you live in a colder environment, a few extra fuses, a multimeter to chase down electrical failures, a good set of wrenches, both SAE and metric, an extra fan belt, and a set of screwdrivers to keep in the truck, a key blank, so you can have an extra key made up, a grease gun, and a case of your favorite beer to time the engine with.

If you have an overdrive, perhaps all the bits from RDS, to remove it if it should break down away from home.

rickv100
11-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Stonefox,

Already divorced and have divorce lawyer on speed dial.

Stomper,

Thanks for the advice. This is my second old truck (first is a Dodge M37) so I am pretty well tooled up.

Rick

NickDawson
11-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Just off the top of my head here, I don't know the condition of your truck, but I would look into a 5 gallon drum of EP90 gear oil, a new set of points, rotor button and distributor cap, and condensor to have on hand, a radiator muff if you live in a colder environment, a few extra fuses, a multimeter to chase down electrical failures, a good set of wrenches, both SAE and metric, an extra fan belt, and a set of screwdrivers to keep in the truck, a key blank, so you can have an extra key made up, a grease gun, and a case of your favorite beer to time the engine with.

If you have an overdrive, perhaps all the bits from RDS, to remove it if it should break down away from home.

Thats almost an exact list of everything I had to replace on mine, and the tools to do it, in the first year.

Also, an industrial sized box of cat litter to sop up the oil leakage... a soft cloth to wipe away tears into on a regular basis... a supply of good beer (in bottles, for timing, trust us).

Good luck and congrats on the new ride!

PICTURES!

mrdoiron
11-28-2010, 10:49 PM

... and for ****s and giggles, get a spare U joint, and say good bye to your clear garage floor. . . I've heard the British haven't started to make computers yet because they haven't figured out how to make them drip oil...

mike

albersj51
11-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Welcome to the party!