X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickv100
    1st Gear
    • Aug 2010

New LR owner

I just picked up my first Land Rover, it is a S3 109 that Ducttape had for sale in the classifieds.

What should be my first purchases besides the Green Bible?

Rick
    73 xMOD S3 109
    52 M37
  • siii8873
    Overdrive
    • Jul 2007

AAA membership, Ha Ha
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• stonefox
      4th Gear
      • Jul 2010

A good divorce lawyer
      Welcome to the self help group Rick. Have fun with your rig.
      Sean
      ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
      1970 88"
      1971 88"
      authenticstoneworks.com

Comment

• stomper
        5th Gear
        • Apr 2007

Just off the top of my head here, I don't know the condition of your truck, but I would look into a 5 gallon drum of EP90 gear oil, a new set of points, rotor button and distributor cap, and condensor to have on hand, a radiator muff if you live in a colder environment, a few extra fuses, a multimeter to chase down electrical failures, a good set of wrenches, both SAE and metric, an extra fan belt, and a set of screwdrivers to keep in the truck, a key blank, so you can have an extra key made up, a grease gun, and a case of your favorite beer to time the engine with.

If you have an overdrive, perhaps all the bits from RDS, to remove it if it should break down away from home.
        Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• rickv100
          1st Gear
          • Aug 2010

Stonefox,

Already divorced and have divorce lawyer on speed dial.

Stomper,

Thanks for the advice. This is my second old truck (first is a Dodge M37) so I am pretty well tooled up.

Rick
          73 xMOD S3 109
          52 M37

Comment

• NickDawson
            5th Gear
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by stomper
            Just off the top of my head here, I don't know the condition of your truck, but I would look into a 5 gallon drum of EP90 gear oil, a new set of points, rotor button and distributor cap, and condensor to have on hand, a radiator muff if you live in a colder environment, a few extra fuses, a multimeter to chase down electrical failures, a good set of wrenches, both SAE and metric, an extra fan belt, and a set of screwdrivers to keep in the truck, a key blank, so you can have an extra key made up, a grease gun, and a case of your favorite beer to time the engine with.

If you have an overdrive, perhaps all the bits from RDS, to remove it if it should break down away from home.
            Thats almost an exact list of everything I had to replace on mine, and the tools to do it, in the first year.

Also, an industrial sized box of cat litter to sop up the oil leakage... a soft cloth to wipe away tears into on a regular basis... a supply of good beer (in bottles, for timing, trust us).

Good luck and congrats on the new ride!

PICTURES!

Comment

• mrdoiron
              4th Gear
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by stomper

... and for ****s and giggles, get a spare U joint, and say good bye to your clear garage floor. . . I've heard the British haven't started to make computers yet because they haven't figured out how to make them drip oil...

mike
              ---------------------------
              1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
              1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
              1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
              1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
              1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
              2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
              2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

• albersj51
                5th Gear
                • May 2010

Welcome to the party!

Comment

Working...