PDA

View Full Version : Ordering from overseas

albersj51
11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
I hope to start rebuilding my rig in a month or so. I am looking at placing a large order with FamousFour.com in the UK. Some of the items are rather large and it will be a substantial order (Wallet soon to be empty). Im looking to get a canvas top and hoop set, rear X-member 1/4 frame section, rock sliders, front seats, rear bench seats, etc. To buy all of this stateside would run easily 2X's the amount. Im getting a shipping quote to see what thats going to run. My question is, any info on ordering stuff from overseas? Any fees/expenses I should be aware of (customs, exchange rate fees, etc)? Also, how long of a wait am I looking at?

I will be getting footwells and door posts as well as a lot of the smaller stuff from our gracious hosts, so they will see there share of my Amex card, too! :)

Thanks, guys (and gals)!

BellaCoola
11-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes the costs here can be upwards of 2X's of UK pricing, but remember by the time you order, the shipping and customs costs can sometimes wipe out any of your savings...plus good luck returning a wrong part.

Although I do on occasion order parts from overseas I always try local North American suppliers first. They have taken the burdened cost of shipping and customs, plus they usually get a margin so just do your homework before taking your business away from the local suppliers.

Quite often many UK suppliers will offer you great deals on the actual parts (be sure to order "genuine" whenever possible), but you will get "hosed" on shipping so do your homework.

And no...I don't work for any North American suppliers.:D

TedW
11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
I've found that ordering small light parts (like lamps) comes with affordable shipping. But the moment you cross a weight / size threshold the shipping costs go crazy.

Also, beware: there are some nasty brand-x parts available in the UK.

Remember that Series trucks are largely farm vehicles in the UK, and farmers want to keep costs down as much as possible. Hence lots of cheesy parts available there.

I have no experience with FamousFour - just my HO.

albersj51
11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Great points guys. Thank you! As for quality im sticking with RN for things like repair panels where quality is of the utmost importance, and I know RN is a quality company. Any idea where I can find out about customs/duty fees? Like Bella said, I want to do my homework.

RoverForm
11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
the only overseas parts suppliers i've used thus far is LR Series (http://www.lrseries.com/). can't comment in the reliability of this supplier until the parts arrive...

also, remember that the pound sterling is currently averaging $1.59 higher than the US dollar, so genuine LR parts aren't always cheaper.

Broadstone
11-29-2010, 07:31 PM
I have dealt with famousfour and they are quite helpful. Shipping will be very expensive. We do not even ship much to or receive packages from family in the U.K. anymore we just plan ahead and send it along as luggage or with with someone else flying. I am pretty sure it is not worth purchasing something heavy like a rear X-member when you factor in shipping I think you will find our hosts cheaper. You will not have to pay VAT (value added tax) in the U.K. so it makes things even cheaper, but you will most likely get a bill for duty to be paid here, not many packages slip through without having to pay duty any more. I cannot remember the rate though.

jac04
11-30-2010, 09:42 AM
I purchased parts from the UK from lrseries.com and from PA Blanchard. The credit card company will automatically do the currency conversion, but most cards will also charge a fee for a foreign transaction. Call your card company for details. Both lrseries and PAB will ship direct to your door - make sure this is the case (it was for me, even with larger stuff such as a rear axle case). You don't want to get stuck going to a port to pick up your parts. I also found that I needed to pay import/duty/processing fees on a few, but not all, shipments. It was very inconsistent, but usually fairly inexpensive.

JackIIA
12-02-2010, 11:06 AM
I've also ordered from abroad. To your question on fees....

1.) Credit Card Transaction Fee (usually 3%)
2.) Customs Broker Fee (always been reasonable)
3.) VAT (none, if you're shipping to the US)
4.) Carriage as they call it (yeah, it hurts).

If you exceed a certain size, they start hitting you with shipping based on volume, NOT weight. That can make a lot of items basically too pricey to import, unless you've got deep pockets.

For anything big, like the frame parts you mentioned, I'd definitely go with a U.S. outfit. Good example was my frame from RN. It was beat to **** by the shippers (TWICE). RN delivered a new one to my door and picked up the old. Had I gone with a non-local outfit, I'd have had a hell of a time getting that sorted out. That's worth the premium for me anyhow.

albersj51
12-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Great info everyone, thank you!

JackIIA, you mentioned Customers Broker Fee. Is this a person I pay to broker stuff through customs or is it the customs fee itself? Does customs call me to tell me how much I owe, or do they send me a bill? Curious how they get my $$ (We all know the govt going to get their money!!).

I think I am going to take all of your advice and buy some of the larger/heavier things from RN. Footwells/rear Crossmember, gearbox Crossmember, etc. I'll get my accessory parts (hood stick set, canvas top, seats, etc) overseas.

Keep the details coming! Thanks, again!

Jason

JackIIA
12-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Jason - I just pinged you with detailed answers. Peace Out.

spacemutt
12-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I work for a Land Rover parts supplier, and we do ship parts abroad. It's unfortunate that carriage to America is so expensive or I'm sure we would send a lot more over there.