PDA

View Full Version : Tool request

Tsmith
11-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Is there a pressurized tank that I can use to dispense the 90 wt gear oil in the differential, wheel hubs, transmission, etc? I've seen sprayers that can be pressurized from my air compressor. I have seen them, but can't find them on line.

It's a messy proposition with the quart bottles and I wind up with gear oil dripping from my elbows.

graniterover
11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Tim,

I just got a cheap garden sprayer and cut the spray part of the end. I've been using it for years. It's great.

Pump, fill the trans or whatever, then loosen the top and let the pressure out.

Mark

John O from Jersey
11-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Not quite as sophisticated as what you describe, but I picked up one of these at PepBoys for about 4 bucks and it's been great.

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-10106-Spill-Filler/dp/B000EH2SMC

It screws right on to any standard gear oil bottle and you squeeze away making your own pressure.

A word of warning though - if you use Lucas Huboil in your swivels, it's pretty thick. So thick you have to squeeze pretty hard.... so hard you might pop the threads off the cap,,,,,,,,which might dump Lucas Hub Oil all over your favorite pants,,,,,,,,which might not come out in the wash thus forcing you to feel like an idiot taking your Carhartt's to a dry cleaner and getting them back ironed and wrinkle free so you look like a........

Never mind, I'll shut up now. It is a great tool though.

JO

NickDawson
11-29-2010, 05:53 PM
A funnel and tube makes easy but slow work of it. I have a 5' section of 1" clear tubing and a nice big funnel. I usually rig the funnel and tube through my front or rear light guards to hold it and then pour away... often takes 10-15 mins and 5 or so fills of the funnel, but its reasonably mess free.

TedW
11-29-2010, 06:31 PM
I got a pump w/hose for $5 at my local autoparts guy. Screws onto the top of the 90wt bottle. Just pump away - no mess.

Tsmith
11-29-2010, 06:46 PM
JO, you mean you don't always have the Carharts dry cleaned? I'm shocked! It may be time for RN forums dress code.

All great ideas, thank you, gentlemen.

RoverForm
11-29-2010, 06:52 PM
define "back ironed"...

bkreutz
11-29-2010, 06:55 PM
I think a comma is missing.... getting them back, ironed. (amazing how punctuation changes the meaning:D)

kevin-ct
11-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Is there a pressurized tank that I can use to dispense the 90 wt gear oil in the differential, wheel hubs, transmission, etc? I've seen sprayers that can be pressurized from my air compressor. I have seen them, but can't find them on line.

It's a messy proposition with the quart bottles and I wind up with gear oil dripping from my elbows.

Tom,

What is 90wt, gear oil? If you have oil in there it will leak out :eek:

SafeAirOne
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Tim,

I just got a cheap garden sprayer and cut the spray part of the end. I've been using it for years. It's great.

Pump, fill the trans or whatever, then loosen the top and let the pressure out.

Mark

I saw Mark's setup garden sprayer setup for the first time the other day--I was amazed at how simple, clean and easy it was--I can't believe I've been doing it the funnel way or the pump bottle way (both a messy PITAs) all these years...

Well worth the $20 for the cheapo garden sprayer at Home Depot!
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/56/56ef7755-565d-44f6-9495-de6c68ea5ff4_300.jpg

printjunky
11-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Same sprayer also makes a great brake pressure bleeder with a few mods.

bpj911
11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Is really the easiest fastest cleanest way way.

Tim Smith
11-30-2010, 07:55 AM
It's Tom, right? I can't imagine there is another Tim Smith our there. :p

I like Mark's use of the garden sprayer. However, if you have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket, you could get this.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200323340_200323340

I like mine as you can measure the oil that is being distributed. It looks official too. :rolleyes:

knac1234
11-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I got the same tool Ted used at Autozone for maybe $5 or so. Like he said, screws onto the gallon 90 wt oil container. I changed the oil in everything-diffs, transfer box, o/d, and gearbox. Just about mess free, and goes as fast as you can pump it!

Julian