X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msggunny
    5th Gear
    • Jan 2007

Bolts

Ok, so i now have my 72 stripped down to the chassis and should start to graft in the 77 body parts and engine this winter.

I am planning on replacing all the body mounting bolts due to their , rusty and pitted condition.

Stainless or zinc coated?

Which would be better to use and reduce the possibility of galvonic/alloy contaminaton corrosion?

Does anyone have a list of all the bolts and sizes for a SIII 88 as far as mounting the body is concerned?

Thanks.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)
  • Terrys
    Overdrive
    • May 2007

Gunny, strongly suggest you not use stainless. First off, they are not even half as strong as grade 8 bolts. Secondly, 18-8 (304 or 316) tend to gall when tightened and then loosened. This is because the threads deform when tightened, due to the 'taffy-like' ductility.
    99% of the bolts you will need are 5/16", and 1/4", fine thread. There are perhaps 2 dozen 3/8", like 8 for each driveshaft, 4 for trans mount to chassis. Google FASTENAL. They must have a store in Portland, if not even nearer to Kittery. They don't sell singles, but you use the better part of a bag (100), if not on this truck, others. I buy 1" & 1 1/4" 1/4x28, and 1 1/4" 5/16x24. Get Grade 8 automotive, they are anodized. Don't forget a bag of flat washers. I don't bother with lockwashers, because I buy Nylock nuts.
    edit: I just checked my catalog. They have a store in Portsmouth.

Comment

• siii8873
      Overdrive
      • Jul 2007

Buying bolts bulk is the way to go. i concur with the grade 8 zinc bolts. I get my bolts from "bolt depot" on line. From my reading on galvanic corrosion, Zinc/aluminum is better than Stainless/aluminum. The bolts may corrode a little faster but they should have less effect on aluminum.
      I slop some waxoyl on all threads , black stuff not cavity stuff. Not sure if it helps time will tell.
      THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
      THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
      THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
      THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
      THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
      THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• KevinNY
        4th Gear
        • Oct 2006

I use Grade 8 for anything truly load bearing and galvanized for stuff like the seatbox.
        The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• TedW
          5th Gear
          • Feb 2007

FWIW I've seen little or no galvanic corrosion from 20 year-old stainless / aluminum joints.

Galling is a very real issue with large stainless nuts & bolts, but can be prevented with a little WD or anti-sieze. I've never had the problem with the smaller sized stuff you will use the most of.

Agree with Kevin on Grade 8 for load-bearing bits.

Comment

• jac04
            Overdrive
            • Feb 2007

IMO, Grade 8 are not required for most load-bearing applications. Grade 5 will do just fine. The benefit to Grade 8 is that they are usually available in yellow zinc (zinc with a chromate treatment), which is more corrosion resistant that regular zinc. It seems to be tough to find Grade 5 fasteners in yellow zinc.

Comment

• Mountain132
              Low Range
              • Apr 2008

Belgian Parts Catalog

Check out the Belgian Parts catalog it has all the bolt sized listed next to the part numbers and photos, excellent reference. Before I found it I was bringing them in and matching them up in the hardware store (PITA), plus I ground most of them off so it only gets you so far. I'm doing the same thing right now and am using grade 8 from my local hardware store. I buy a bag of assorted sized based on what things I'm working on and I've been averaging $50 a week. Bulk is the way to go. I'll check out those sites mentioned above.

Anyone interested PM me with your email address and I'll send you the pdf, it is too large to post (8247KB) and I can't remember where I found it. Maybe someone on here knows. The file name I downloaded is listed below

LR_4x2_parts_cat_Series3_Belgium_Army_2-5_petrol.pdf

Comment

• solihull109
                1st Gear
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Terrys
                Gunny, strongly suggest you not use stainless. First off, they are not even half as strong as grade 8 bolts. Secondly, 18-8 (304 or 316) tend to gall when tightened and then loosened. This is because the threads deform when tightened, due to the 'taffy-like' ductility.
                99% of the bolts you will need are 5/16", and 1/4", fine thread. There are perhaps 2 dozen 3/8", like 8 for each driveshaft, 4 for trans mount to chassis. Google FASTENAL. They must have a store in Portland, if not even nearer to Kittery. They don't sell singles, but you use the better part of a bag (100), if not on this truck, others. I buy 1" & 1 1/4" 1/4x28, and 1 1/4" 5/16x24. Get Grade 8 automotive, they are anodized. Don't forget a bag of flat washers. I don't bother with lockwashers, because I buy Nylock nuts.
                edit: I just checked my catalog. They have a store in Portsmouth.
                I'll second not to use Stainless. It's not worth the hassle, and if you're using a good bolt with a zinc coating, you'll be amazed at how well that holds up. I prefer Lawson Supply for hardware, the grade 5 has an excellent zinc coating that even withstands Maine's abuse.
                knowledge without experience is just information.... Mark Twain

www.downeastcoachworks.com

Comment

• morgant
                  1st Gear
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Mountain132
                  Check out the Belgian Parts catalog it has all the bolt sized listed next to the part numbers and photos, excellent reference. Before I found it I was bringing them in and matching them up in the hardware store (PITA), plus I ground most of them off so it only gets you so far.
                  I'm in the same boat right now. Have ground off nearly every nut & bolt I've come across. Looked through the Belgian Parts Catalog (which is for Series III, which mine fortunately is) and—sure enough!—all the bolts are specified!

Excellent find!

I can't remember where I found it. Maybe someone on here knows. The file name I downloaded is listed below

I found it at http://www.defenderaction.nl/media/t...2-5_petrol.pdf
                  rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
                  1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
                  2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

Comment

• mongoswede
                    5th Gear
                    • May 2010

I'e used some chrome bolts on various applications and find that they hold up very well and have not corroded yet. The draw back is they are very expensive.

Comment

• msggunny
                      5th Gear
                      • Jan 2007

Here you go.
                      04 DII
                      08 D3 (LR3)

Comment

• Mountain132
                        Low Range
                        • Apr 2008

Anyone interested PM me with your email address and I'll send you the pdf, it is too large to post (8247KB) and I can't remember where I found it. Maybe someone on here knows. The file name I downloaded is listed below

Link is now provided in the thread so stop PMing me. Just kidding hope you find it well. I'm trying to print it from work 50 pages at a time. Last thing I need to do is jam the printer with 300 pages of land rover schematics

Comment

• JackIIA
                          5th Gear
                          • Dec 2008

And if you really are having trouble sleeping....

Check out this link for FAQs on bolts, sheer strengths, use of plain washers with lockwashers, etc. etc....

1970 88 IIA

Comment

• msggunny
                            5th Gear
                            • Jan 2007

Link is now provided in the thread so stop PMing me. Just kidding hope you find it well. I'm trying to print it from work 50 pages at a time. Last thing I need to do is jam the printer with 300 pages of land rover schematics
                            If your eyesight is good enough just print 4 pages on one. Makes it a bit more manageable.

Plus i didnt feel as bad when i printed 75 pages off at work instead of 300....
                            04 DII
                            08 D3 (LR3)

Comment

• Mountain132
                              Low Range
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by JackIIA
                              And if you really are having trouble sleeping....

Check out this link for FAQs on bolts, sheer strengths, use of plain washers with lockwashers, etc. etc....

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/faq.htm

You're killing me, is there a test on this?

I did however find it interesting especially since I had an argument about "short bolting" when I was too lazy to go back to the hardware store after getting bolts a little short.

Comment

Working...