X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SGS714
    Low Range
    • Jan 2007

Buying Rebuilt Engine Sources

My #2 cylinder has 20lbs of pressure...Everything looks good under the valve cover and assume it is either a valve or piston issue and have decided to replace the entire engine and not second guess myself. Engine has not ran real smooth since I bought the truck and was planning on putting a fresh engine in once this one gave me a sign. I do not turn my own wrenches when it comes to inside the engine and have talked with my very capable mechanic and would like to purchase a complete engine to drop in. My preference is more power and am not scared of approaching the $5k mark. Want to stay with gas. I hope you folks could recommend a good reliable source.

Your thoughts are appreciated...
    93 D110 NAS 327
    94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076, 1181
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

Our hosts sell them, though I'll be darned if I can find them listed anywhere on their site...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• Terrys
      Overdrive
      • May 2007

Unless your "mechanic" is just a 'remove & replace" kinda guy, why don't you have him rebuild your engine? The 'rebuilt' engines that RN used to sell came from the Ministry Of Defense, and the rebuilder could have been very very good, or very very horrid.

Comment

• Eric W S
        5th Gear
        • Dec 2006

5k? You could get a complete turner enginer for that. Course you'd be wasting money. For less than half that you can have it rebuilt locally to the same effect...

Comment

• mongoswede
          5th Gear
          • May 2010

Why not just rebuild it yourself? Instead of shelling out thousands for someone else to do it...spend the money on an engine stand, some tools, and the parts. Find a good race/machine shop in your area that will be willing to give you advice and help with analysis on what needs to be done. a basic rebuild might just involve replacing the journal bearings, honing the cylinders, and replacing the rings. If the block needs more attention you might need to bore the cylinders and adjust the rings accordingly (machine shop work).

If you have no time, space, or interest then just pay someone else to do it.

Comment

• SGS714
            Low Range
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Terrys
            Unless your "mechanic" is just a 'remove & replace" kinda guy, why don't you have him rebuild your engine? The 'rebuilt' engines that RN used to sell came from the Ministry Of Defense, and the rebuilder could have been very very good, or very very horrid.
            Terry, I was hoping you would chime in...I appreciate your very to the point and in my opinion accurate thoughts. My mechanic can do anything but doesn't have any 1st hand knowledge rebuilding these engines....and we decided for an extra $1500ish why not just save us all the work of sorting out all the nuances that it takes to make this a pleasure to drive.

I am currently in discussion with ACR (Automotive Component Remanufacturing Ltd) in the UK and about ready to pull the trigger on their complete 2.8L solution with complete intake including carb and header.
            93 D110 NAS 327
            95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

Comment

• KevinNY
              4th Gear
              • Oct 2006

I had an ACR Power Plus motor in my truck originally with the SU carb and intake. Honestly it was a sweet running engine and that carb setup was consistently trouble free and worked at any angle. Don't believe the hype that it is a huge upgrade in power though. Versus a tired 2.25 yes it will be a huge improvement, but it is still polishing a turd compared to a modern transplant. You will certainly be able to hold highway speed with one though.
              The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• Mountain132
                Low Range
                • Apr 2008

ACR engine

Originally posted by SGS714

I am currently in discussion with ACR (Automotive Component Remanufacturing Ltd) in the UK and about ready to pull the trigger on their complete 2.8L solution with complete intake including carb and header.
                If you go with that option can you keep us in the loop on some of the logistical details if not too personal

Shipping time/price/hassle/company professionalism

Comment

• rejeep
                  4th Gear
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mountain132
                  If you go with that option can you keep us in the loop on some of the logistical details if not too personal

Shipping time/price/hassle/company professionalism
                  agreed
                  1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
                  1974 SIII 109" RHD

Comment

• jac04
                    Overdrive
                    • Feb 2007

You can purchase a long block Turner "High Performance" 2.25 engine through Atlantic British in New York. You swap over your manifolds, carb, water pump, alternator, distributor, fuel pump, etc. That's what I did since I was looking for a drop-in replacement. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't much more than the RN engine and it was worth the extra $ IMO.

Here is how you pick it up:

...and here is what's inside:

Comment

• JackIIA
                      5th Gear
                      • Dec 2008

What are you getting for the extra $576 through AB? The RN site lists their engine as "new" rather than a rebuild.

I'm assuming the AB is a rebuilt, and realistically, I'd expect the RN one must be too despite the "new" label.

I agree that Turner is the leader in LR rebuilds, but last I knew RN's engines were Turner rebuilds too. That was awhile ago though.

??
                      1970 88 IIA

Comment

• jac04
                        Overdrive
                        • Feb 2007

The complete engines listed on the RN site are rebuilds of already-rebuilt military engines that they have done by a local shop. I bought one and RN came and got it back due to multiple quality concerns based on visual inspection only. Plus, the ancillary equipment (water pump, manifolds, fuel pump, carb, alternator) is all used stuff that is in 'servicable' condition at best. Check out the pictures below of the engine that I originally received from RN. When I asked RN to quote me a top quality rebuilt complete engine, the price I was quoted was $7500 . I found it to be more cost effective for me to buy the Turner long block and dress it out myself with new Genuine parts and parts that I rebuilt from my original engine.

For reference, this was the picture shown on the RN web site for the RNE568 Engine that I purchased:
                        (Big difference, huh?)

Comment

• JackIIA
                          5th Gear
                          • Dec 2008

wow
                          1970 88 IIA

Comment

• SGS714
                            Low Range
                            • Jan 2007

I also have a quote from Turner Engineering and we are at $4530 with current pound conversion delivered as a stripped engine. That is well below British Atlantic's price before ship. I will post ACR $'s when I get this deal put together. At this point I am looking at the 2.8l based on the 5 bolt block with tuned intake, carb, performance cam, and header. My gut is all this will run $1500-2000 more, including ship, than the Turner.
                            93 D110 NAS 327
                            95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

Comment

• Tim Smith
                              Overdrive
                              • Nov 2006

That engine is what I imagine any typical MOD rebuild would look like. I for one think it's a good thing that our hosts are sourcing them even if they aren't going to fit well in a 100 point truck.

I have to agree that some of that hardware would be best swapped out before slotting it into the engine bay but really, these are MOD rebuilds. Can we expect anything more?

Comment

Working...