PDA

View Full Version : electric fuel pump

cousindave
12-03-2010, 05:46 PM
I've got a series III petrol. with electric fuel pump. Every so often i go to start it and i find it fuel starved. I have to disconnect the fuel line from the carb and siphon gas into the fuel line, reconnect and then she starts and runs no problem. Anyone knows what could cause this? Thanks

LaneRover
12-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Where is the pump in relation to the tank?

Is it ever after it has been running (ie is it hot and thus it is vapor lock)

cousindave
12-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Only happens when cold. The pump is attachedto the footwell directly in front gas tank.

LaneRover
12-04-2010, 05:11 AM
When this happens, has it sat longer than usual? Not sure if an electric pump has any sort of backflow preventer. If it does then could it be faulty? Not sure if the pump needs to be primed to pump if there is no fuel in it but that is what it sounds like right now.

Brent

msggunny
12-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Back flow.

I would check the pump too. What brand is it?

I have a redline pump on mine and have never had any problems.

I wonder why you would have to siphon the fuel though, the pump should pull fuel when its running regardless. (?)

LaneRover
12-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Did you put the pump in or is it of an unknown age?

Tim Smith
12-04-2010, 12:00 PM
I have to agree with the thought that it's not a self priming pump and maybe the back flow valve (if there is one in the pump) has given it's two week notice.

cousindave
12-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Definitely of unknown age, it looks like a facet(square body). Looks like time to get new pump. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Terrys
12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Any of the 'square body' fuel pumps are solenoid type, and are noisy and vibrate like heel, and could pull a fart out of a flea. They are made to push.
I don't believe in running an electric, in line with a mechanical, but if you feel you, must, buy a good, quiet pump. Facet makes a copy of the Bendix, which was the best pump ever made and used by most race car people.
This is what you want for a carbed engine of LR size.

http://www.truechoice.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FCT 477060