PDA

View Full Version : Is this alternator correct?

futurafalcon
12-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I own a '71 2.5 petrol, negative ground 2a running with a generator that I am converting to an alternator.

I bought a Delco 10SI today part number 321-39 but could not figure out which clock postion for the plug in.

In the alternator pictured is the plug in the right place?

thanks

stomper
12-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I can't answer the question, but try reading this article.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Delco_Alternators.html

futurafalcon
12-04-2010, 03:58 PM
I can't answer the question, but try reading this article.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Delco_Alternators.html

I just read it, thanks for that. :thumb-up:

I have the Pangolin 4x4 mounting brackets on order so I would like my alternator clocked in the 12 o'clock position. Is it?

I need advice on how to determine what the 12 o'clock posiiton is?

jac04
12-04-2010, 06:15 PM
The alt pictured will work, but the plug will be pointing toward the wing. You may need to lengthen your wiring. With Ike's mounts I used an alt with the plug at 12 o'clock = NAPA 1N-4011A.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1785.jpg

printjunky
12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
To clarify "clock position," looking at the back of the alternator with the threaded adjustment ear pointing up, the position of the plug spot (sense/light wire) is the clock position. ie: jac04's 12:00 alternator has the plug on top. MUCH easier to plug in than mine at 6:00!

futurafalcon
12-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks jac04 and printjunky, for the picture and definition of what clock position is. Cheers

I can take it back to the parts store and do a swap.

I've even read it is not too difficult to rotate the rear housing to change clock position on some alternators. I'm not sure if that is the case with Delco 10SI's though.

thanks again for the advice and info fellas

jac04
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
^^Yes, you can re-clock the 10SI very easily. Usually the instructions in the box cover re-clocking the alternator if required.

futurafalcon
12-05-2010, 09:06 AM
^^Yes, you can re-clock the 10SI very easily. Usually the instructions in the box cover re-clocking the alternator if required.

Excellent, I'll give that a go.

Two more questions relating to the pulley and belt.

1. I'm confused about the pulley. I have read to get a double pulley but I do not know why as there is just one belt. I guess it could be to get it in proper position.

Do I need to get a double pulley? If so what size?

2. Can I run the same belt in not what do I get?

LaneRover
12-05-2010, 12:09 PM
A double pulley is to get the positioning right. Most guys get their hands on a Rover military double pulley

Yes you can use the same belt - actually come to think of it I don't know that for sure but I am pretty sure you can.

Donnie
12-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I own a '71 2.5 petrol, negative ground 2a running with a generator that I am converting to an alternator.

I bought a Delco 10SI today part number 321-39 but could not figure out which clock postion for the plug in.

In the alternator pictured is the plug in the right place?

thanks
Re clocking is easy, just remove the 4 8mm screws that hold the unit together.. carefully tap the housing , but do not allow the units to seperate more than 1/16 of an inch..You can then turn the housing into whatever position that you need.. the 4 bolt holes are evenly spaced

jac04
12-05-2010, 03:51 PM
You should be able to run the single pulley. I ran it that way for a little bit.
The belt is a Dayco TopCog 15495.

futurafalcon
12-05-2010, 09:18 PM
I re clocked it to twelve. To make it clear some casting I had to separate more than 1/16 of an inch though - to a 1/2 inch max at one corner.

It spins free, doesn't make any loose parts sounds when I shake it so guess it's good to go.

Is there a bench test to see of the brushes are still in the right place?

Donnie
12-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I re clocked it to twelve. To make it clear some casting I had to separate more than 1/16 of an inch though - to a 1/2 inch max at one corner.

It spins free, doesn't make any loose parts sounds when I shake it so guess it's good to go.

Is there a bench test to see of the brushes are still in the right place?
Were you doing this on the bench or on the truck...Always do this on the bench...1/2 inch is a lot . You may have dropped a brush. There is no way to bench test w/o pulling the rear case...If you are feeling insecure . I would check it before running it on the truck....send me an evening phone # & I will walk you thru it. Don

galen216
12-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I too run the single pulley. No need for a double pulley. With Ike's bracket it should line right up.

SafeAirOne
12-06-2010, 05:09 PM
You may have dropped a brush. There is no way to bench test w/o pulling the rear case...

Hmm...Why can't one test it electrically, with a continuity tester/Ohm meter without opening the case?

Donnie
12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Hmm...Why can't one test it electrically, with a continuity tester/Ohm meter without opening the case?
It can be tested with a meter, but he said that he was a novice & unsure of what he was into. So I suggested the removal of the rear case , reset the brushes, that is what the small hole is for. 5 minutes, a 3" piece of wire, done...Faster than I could explain the Fluke meter process...........Donnie

SafeAirOne
12-07-2010, 08:55 PM
It can be tested with a meter, but he said that he was a novice & unsure of what he was into. So I suggested the removal of the rear case , reset the brushes, that is what the small hole is for. 5 minutes, a 3" piece of wire, done...Faster than I could explain the Fluke meter process...........Donnie

Makes sense. :thumb-up:

futurafalcon
12-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I didn't open the alternator wider than 5mm (1/4 inch) only at one corner to clear a casting. (I incorrectly converted from metric to imperial when I said 1/2 inch in a previous post)

I found this excellent you tube video on reclocking an alternator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyIhzUyIXW0

Based on that video I feel pretty comfortable cracking the alternator and checking the position of the brushes. The one thing that confused me is hole on the back of the 10si alternator (see picture) looks blocked, while the alternator in the video has a hole that is 'usable' when the alternator is open or closed.

Anyways, I think I'm fine but I might take it down to my friendly neighbourhood specialty shop for a test if I don't open it up myself.