PDA

View Full Version : Best Locking Hubs for '71 Series IIA

RoverTrails
12-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Hi there, we are looking to replace the existing Selectro hubs and found Mile Marker, Superwinch and AVM brand that have a model that will fit the '71 Series IIA. Would like Warn but not finding a specific model that will fit. Does anyone have any experience with the mentioned hubs and if so a preference?

Thank you for your time.

73series88
12-04-2010, 06:43 PM
i have warn locking hubs on my 73 88 and there great no problems
aaron

LaneRover
12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Just in case you don't know.

You can go with just drive flanges, you don't have to have locking hubs on the front axle.

stonefox
12-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Just in case you don't know.

You can go with just drive flanges, you don't have to have locking hubs on the front axle.
I agree, I think. Maybe I'm wrong but it already is in 4x4 the only thing the hub "unlockers" do is take it out of 4x4 to free wheel. I was told by RN staff that in free wheel the axle shaft was not spinning hence not lubbing the axle shaft ie. premature wear, thats why they were not installed from the factory. They are great if you are pulling your truck across counrty behind your camper , but not to be left turned out for long periods of time. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong because I was talked out of keeping mine on my truck.

siiirhd88
12-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I have Superwinch hubs on my 88 and they have been troublefree. In the summer I ran with them unlocked for several weeks until I heard chirping from the swivels. I now keep them locked all of the time. My 109 had AVM hubs, but I removed them due to continuous seepage, even after new seals and gaskets. A traded them to a friend for stock drive flanges.

It always seemed that when I really needed 4wd NOW, the hubs were unlocked....

I really didn't notice any difference in gas MPG locked or unlocked.

Bob

rwollschlager
12-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Would like Warn but not finding a specific model that will fit. Does anyone have any experience with the mentioned hubs and if so a preference?

Warn M-11 should be what your looking for. IIRC they are no longer made but you can find a used set in good condition if you keep your eyes peeled. It is ok to drive around town with them locked, but if going on the highway i would recommend unlocking them. good luck with your search!

-Rob

LaneRover
12-05-2010, 06:31 AM
I agree, I think. Maybe I'm wrong but it already is in 4x4 the only thing the hub "unlockers" do is take it out of 4x4 to free wheel. I was told by RN staff that in free wheel the axle shaft was not spinning hence not lubbing the axle shaft ie. premature wear, thats why they were not installed from the factory. They are great if you are pulling your truck across counrty behind your camper , but not to be left turned out for long periods of time. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong because I was talked out of keeping mine on my truck.

The locking hubs just 'hook' or 'unhook' the wheels to the drive train. Unlocked the wheels are free to turn which doesn't turn the front differential or front driveshaft. A bit less wear and tear, fewer things spinning and maybe a difference in gas mileage - maybe. A slight headbreeze or having a window open probably negates any gas mileage difference. Also the less wear and tear is also a bit negligible as if you aren't in 4 wheel drive you really aren't spinning anything with much of any force. Little to no Torque is being supplied to the system as it is just the front axle bits spinning away on its own, if it was jacked up you could do it by hand.

With not much spinning up front you do lose the 'splash' lubrication of the front swivels and you should lock them at least once a month and drive around.

As siiirhd88 mentions the times he needs to be in 4 wheel drive always seem to be when his hubs are unlocked.

Brent

RoverTrails
12-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Thank you all for your input!

I would actually be happy to keep the existing hubs but as you can see from the pic one of the internal parts is in three pieces, it should look like the one on the left. Anyone happen to have one of those laying around? Otherwise, I will checkout the Warn M-11 (thank you rwollschlager). I have emailed Warn should hear something in the next couple of days.

Thanks!

Broadstone
12-05-2010, 06:19 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7141

Hope link works? do not know how to do this sort of thing. I had a similar post and the same problem. I have one in good condition and another with the same part in 2 pieces. I gave in and bought new selectro hubs while in U.K. so I have these in the garage. PM if you are interested.

crankin
07-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Since the M11 are not made anymore...does warn have another hub that would work? For example the Warn 6094 or 29062?

o2batsea
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Another vote for no locking hubs. More hassle than they are worth and no significant advantages in gas mileage or drivability.

JimCT
07-11-2011, 05:26 PM
I disagree. Used on long highway trips, they save us a noticeable, but small amount of fuel, and less vibration from the front drive shaft and diff, etc. spinning around mindlessly. When I get off the highway, we lock them back in for driving around town. Always locked unless on a long highway trip, but I do think they cut down on wear and tear.

bkreutz
07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
They also come in handy on parades, low range 1st gear with hubs unlocked. If it tried that on pavement without the hubs I wouldn't be a happy camper.

leafsprung
07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Ive never seen a railco bushing fail from freewheel hub use. Ive disassembled dozens of swivel assemblies and have not noticed a difference between trucks fitted with fwh and those without. Nice thing about FWH is if you have a failure in the front axle (diff or axle breakage) you can disconnect the wheel from the axle and keep driving . . .

bobzinak
07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Have had hubs on my 2A for almost forty years, never had a problem with the railco bush or any other componant of the front drive system. some times went months without turning them. You gas milage may not see much difference, but for me the big difference was the noise level the front drive train makes with hubs turned. I had selectros ( thee moving parts) for years before finding a pair of warn hubs (many moving parts), that came with a beater that I bought for parts. warns work well, but so did the selectros, nice thing about the selectros, you could turn them easily with a gloved hand. sometimes not so easy with the warns. choose for yourself, but if your a worrier, carry one of the original hub and nuts with you..six in one, half dozen in the other..alot of other things will go wrong before your hubs fall off.. don't get bogged down, rove on my friend..life is short..bobzinak

crankin
07-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Since the M11 are not made anymore...does warn have another hub that would work? For example the Warn 6094 or 29062?

Goodness me...Focus. Focus... :p

I Leak Oil
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Nice thing about FWH is if you have a failure in the front axle (diff or axle breakage) you can disconnect the wheel from the axle and keep driving . . .
Absolutely! First hand experience with this. Front diff. grenaded, locked the front end solid. Unlocked the hubs and drove out. Fixed at my convenience and didn't have to leave a mess in the middle of the woods.

I don't think it's a big deal either way, I prefer them. If your reason for not having them is because they don't get locked enough or it's too much of a chore to turn two little dials.....you probably don't need a rover anyway!

LR Max
07-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Another +1 for FWHs.

When I go wheeling, it usually involves 2~3 hours of highway driving. I can EASY TELL when my front axle is engaged. I guess if you just BS around town all day at sub 45mph speeds then you won't notice but go cruise at 60 mph for a couple hours and you'll notice a difference.

MPG, no clue. Then again my rover is in the "toy" category so I don't care about MPG.

Had Faireys, now have Superwinches. The Faireys were smoother to engage but I broke them. Superwinches aren't as refined but they do a good job, seem to be more durable.

xsbowes
07-12-2011, 10:02 AM
No experience with these but they are for 6 bolt 10 spline LR hubs:

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/14263_4727_4878_4971/products_id/7021

and these:

http://www.khatirmachine.com/Products-hubs/Landrover%2084.htm

and Superwinch:
http://www.thejeep.com/superwinch/hubs.html#LAND-ROVER

LaneRover
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
and these:

http://www.khatirmachine.com/Products-hubs/Landrover%2084.htm

Are we allowed to buy things from Iran here in the States?

bpj911
07-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I can tell no difference at all in mpg or in driving when they are locked or unlocked. this is a 109 diesel 3 door. I have been leaving them in unless i am going on a long highway trip. I drive mine a lot of miles for a rover.